What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0360 fp or 0320 csu prop RV-7

JRV

Hi,
I had always presumed I would need to be buying a new engine, always liked the idea of a io-360MIB ($gulp$) but a buddy has come up with -first an end of life 0360, and now a 0320 as well. Both will need a top overhaul, but look to be great buying. I realise most of the arguments for and against new versus older motor, but am struggling with if i go this way which one would I go for.

The 0320 can take a csu, the 0360 can't (A4M solid crank) with out getting a new crankshaft I guess (more $$). I have been leaning toward going the CSU route, but always assumed with an 0360.
I am interested in what others have to say, assuming the completed cost was close enough to not be the deciding factor. (ie 0320 costs less, plus more expensive prop = similar to the 0360 with FP).

0320 with a CSU or 0360 fixed pitch?

Any thoughts on adding a Fuel injection System? ie Airflow performance FM-150.

I note that vans does not have a cowl to suit an io-320D1A. I am assuming that the 0320 I am looking at if converted to FI would be the same as above
What do they mean by this? Is it an impossible option? (any feedback before I ask Vans this question?
Sam James cowl the only option?

Many Thanks

J

I'd go with the O360 FP anyday over the 320 CS.
AFP injection is great, either the FM150 or FM200.

my vote, o-360, probably because i have one and love it. fast, low cost, sensi has a great fp prop for it, 85' pitch. norestrictions. lasts 'forever'. :cool:

I'd just have to have both. The 0360 & C/S. But then I live in higher altitude mountain country, where higher HP & C/S show the benefits.

For my two bob, I would go the O-360, if only to have slightly better performance at altitude. Takeoff run is likely to be quite similar between the two, though the LDR for the O-320 will be shorter than the FP -360.

It'll lower your operating costs a bit too, having a FP prop, and timber props are reportedly much smoother than most any others. YMMV though.

What's the O-320 going for though $ wise? I'm in the market for one soon. :p

Back