What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Prop Change

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
I want to replace my 2600 RPM Sensinich on my O-320 RV-4 for more speed and a smoother ride.

I can't decide between the Catto 2-blade or the Whirlwind GA. Does anyone have any real world experience and numbers between the 2? The Catto is known in our community and smooth. The Whirlwind is adjustable but it has moving parts. Price is about the same.

I've searched other threads but can't find anything specific to compare the 2 props. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sid

I have owned 2 Aymer-Demuth props

Mike will make you a great prop.

cary

Prop me up...

Sid,

I tested no less than NINE props on my RV4. The absolute best being the two blade Catto prop I flew for nearly 1000 hours. My current RVX has the newly designed 2 blade Catto with the Nickel leading edge. The new blade design yields amazing low and high end performance for my mere 150 horses and has held up well in rain. I recently took off on the wing of a 200HP 7A with Hartzell BA and had no problems keeping up on the takeoff roll and climbout. Up through 2400 RPM we were side by side with equal RPM settings. Craig's racing background is evident in the prop "waking up" at 100 knots with 1600FPM climb and kicking in the afterburner at 2750-2850 and 178 KIAS. The sweet spot in cruise is 2550/20" at 8500'160KTAS.

I have chatted with two pilots flying the WW GA prop and both gave it high marks. Another friend is flying the Sensy adjustable linked in the previous thread on his RV4, also giving it high marks. Having never flown either I can only give my Catto 2 blade perspective, which is excellent.

Smokey

PS:For the 0-320 I would install the 2 blade, 0-360 the three blade.

Last edited:
Sad News- Mike Demuth passed away a few weeks ago-One of his customers called me to talk props and gave me the news-I've met Many people he had made props for. Hopefully someone will pick up where he left off.

Sid

I have owned 2 Aymer-Demuth props

Mike will make you a great prop.

cary

WW200 GA pirep

I now have 30 hrs on my WW GA prop. I have adjusted it 3 times and believe I have found the best pitch for my setup. I am running an IO-320 which produces 165hp. The prop climbs at 2000++fpm solo with full fuel. At cruise a can meet or exceed vans performance figures. At 4000' DA I can cruise at 160kts, up higher even better. I replaced a sensenich FP prop which had a 2600 rpm limitation. This prop can spin up to 2700 allowing me to take advantage of the high end if I want. I think that it really achieves more than the typical compromise one makes with a FP prop. It performs extremely well in all phases of flight.

Oh No!

Sad News- Mike Demuth passed away a few weeks ago-One of his customers called me to talk props and gave me the news-I've met Many people he had made props for. Hopefully someone will pick up where he left off.

Oh no, I am sad to hear that Frank. Thank you for posting. Mike was always very nice to me & a pleaasure to deal with. Yes, I am deeply saddened. I haven't spoken to him in a long while..... Deeply saddened.

Michael John DeMuth, 63, of Old Whitmire Highway, Newberry, SC, formerly of Ellicott City, MD, died Friday, February 3, 2012 at his residence. He was born December 22, 1948 in Baltimore City, MD a son of Albert and Jean Jacobi DeMuth. Mike was the owner of Aymar-DeMuth Propellers and spent more than 25 years crafting airplane propellers that have been shipped all over the world. He was also a Journeyman Machinist who worked at General Electric, Westinghouse, and in the Applied Physics Lab at Johns Hopkins University where he was part of the team that built one of the first satellites to be launched into space from the spaceship. Mike was an extremely talented man but a man, who despite all of these gifts remained very humble.
In addition to his parents of Ellicott City, MD, he is survived by his brothers, Paul DeMuth of Ellicott City, MD and Donald (Nancy) DeMuth of Irmo, SC; sister, Carol (Larry) Gray of Union Bridge, MD; nieces, Laura, Virginia, Jami, and Jessi; a great-niece and a two great-nephews. Funeral mass will be celebrated Monday 10 a.m. at Church of the Resurrection. Online condolences may be sent to the family at
www.whitakerfuneralhome.com

Back