What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 max rpm's

Eric,
A 68" x 70" is pretty common. BUT, it depends what you want-Cilmb/Race or Cruise. That determines the final numbers. Typical static is around 2400 and WOT is 2700. I do have customers that are comfortable with WOT of 2900-3000 or more (this can lead to less TBO though). Hope this helps

Eric,
A 68" x 70" is pretty common. BUT, it depends what you want-Cilmb/Race or Cruise. That determines the final numbers. Typical static is around 2400 and WOT is 2700. I do have customers that are comfortable with WOT of 2900-3000 or more (this can lead to less TBO though). Hope this helps

70" pitch? Vans recommendations for the O-320 in a RV-3 is 70" diameter and 81" pitch. I fly this prop on my O-320 RV-6 at 80" pitch; rotation at 2280rpm and I see 162 kts at the 2600rpm prop redline. The light RV-3 would really be a performer with this prop.

Frank, your props may be measured differently than the Sensenich but I didn't know there would be that much difference in the numbers.

Yes Sam- Mine are measured differently. My O360 -6 has 65"x74" Three-blade and Static is 2400, WOT is 2700 at 210mph indicated at 3000'

Frank, your props may be measured differently than the Sensenich but I didn't know there would be that much difference in the numbers.[/QUOTE]

prop size

I pulled the spinner off the other day and found my prop to be a 67"dia x 68 pitch. I don't know who manufactured the prop, but it has over 30 laminates. I get 2400 static, which I think is a little high and my digital tach goes between 2760 and 2850 rpm in flight.

It is useless to compare pitch between different prop manufacturers. Especially wood.
Besides differences in measurement techniques, there are different airfoils and different plan-forms.

Sam, what make prop do you have? I have a friend with an Ed Sterba on a RV-3 that is a 68" x 75 pitch.....but his O-320 has 175 hp. I wanted a Amur-Demuth, but mike Demuth passed away in Feburary, I hadn't called the shop to see if it is still open for business.

Eric Venissat
RV-3
N80WD

Sam, what make prop do you have? I have a friend with an Ed Sterba on a RV-3 that is a 68" x 75 pitch.....but his O-320 has 175 hp. I wanted a Amur-Demuth, but mike Demuth passed away in Feburary, I hadn't called the shop to see if it is still open for business.

Eric Venissat
RV-3
N80WD

Have the metal Sensenich, 80" pitch per Vans recommendations. It is a cruise prop but my RV-6 (O-320, 160hp) still climbs nicely.

Eric,

Just give the prop manufacturer's a call to discuss your needs. Most folks aim for engine redline RPM at wide-open-throttle and your static RPM will be a function of whether the prop is pitched for climb, cruise or somewhere in between. Racing planes will typically "over-rev" their engines and operate beyond redline RPM, so it's practical to have a prop made that will do whatever you wish. Sterba props are a lot of bang for the buck, and a good place to start or give Craig Catto a call. Craig does an outstanding job and is likely to hit your performance requirements on the first try.

Cheers,

Vac

Back