- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-1
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 AM

Default RV-1 "I-70/I-80 Barnstorming Tour" May 28-June 2

UPDATE AS OF 5/19

With the RV-1 safely tucked in (and now flying!) at SnF (now into Canada as of 5/19), Louise and Paul asked me to post a look ahead at a future portion of the RV-1 tour…specifically the westward part of the tour after it leaves Canada.

On May 28th, the RV-1 will begin the “I-70/I-80 Barnstorming Tour” of the Midwest and Mountain West!

Following the RV Fly-In at Windsor, Ontario, Tom Martin will return the RV-1 to the US, and I’ll meet up with him at the Toledo Executive Airport (KTDZ). After clearing customs and a turnover with Tom and a large reception and BBQ at Toledo Exec, the RV-1 will head west.

The Barnstorming Tour is planned as a 6 day trip, weather permitting. The first 5 days will be 2 legs per day from Toledo to Reno, Nevada, with a reception at each overnight stop (specifics listed below…they are near Chicago, Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, and Reno). On the 6th day, the RV-1 will be pre-positioned to Marysville, California for the Golden West Fly In. We’re allowing several days prior to GW for “itinerary flexibility” for weather and maintenance…just in case.

In this post, I’ll outline the itinerary, including the pre-arranged overnight stops and the host for the reception at each overnight location. The reception host at each location will also post here, and go into greater detail on the reception or other planned events at their location.

In post 2, I’d like to ask for some VAF “audience participation” in selecting a couple of the intermediate fuel stops, so we stop at airports that will provide the greatest opportunity for folks to come out and see the RV-1!

Here is the planned itinerary for the Barnstorming Tour. The plan is to fly in the mornings to avoid convective weather activity. Fuel stops will be mid-morning, and arrival time in each overnight city should be noon to 1400 local time. I’ll update those times each day as necessary.

May 28
Leg 1: Windsor, ON to Toledo Exec (KTDZ), Clear Customs, Turnover RV-1 Tom Martin – Bob Mills
Reception at KTDZ, hosted by Paul Jaffray
Leg 2: KTDZ to Mishawaka Pilot’s Club (3C1 – near Elkhart, IN…Chicago Area)

May 29
Leg 1: 3C1 to Marshall County, IL (C75), Fuel Stop, Fuel Host Bill Lane
Leg 2: C75 to Moberly, MO (KMBY, Omar Bradley), Fuel Stop
Leg 3: KMBY to Lees Summit, MO (KLXT, Kansas City Area)
Reception at KLXT, hosted by Mike Dooley

May 30
Leg 1: KLXT to McPherson, KS area (KMPR), Fuel Stop, Fuel Host Tom Chandler
Leg 2: KMPR to Colby, KS (KCBK) Fuel Stop
Leg 3: KCBK to Rocky Mountain Regional (KBJC, Broomfield/Denver Area)
Reception at KBJC, hosted by Jim Gray

May 31
Leg 1: KBJC to Rawlins, WY area (KRWL), Fuel Stop
Leg 2: KRWL to Rock Springs, WY (RKS), Fuel Stop
Leg 3: KRKS to Ogden, UT (KOGD, Salt Lake City Area)
Reception at KOGD, hosted by Bob Ashmore

June 1
Leg 1: KOGD to Twin Falls, ID (KTWF), Fuel Stop
Leg 2: KTWF to Winnemucca, NV (KWMC), Fuel Stop
Leg 2: KWMC to Reno-Stead, NV (KRTS)
Reception at KRTS, hosted by Mike Barrow, Greg Arehart and Dan Ross
Reception may slide to a pancake breakfast on 2 June...TBA

June 5
Turnover RV-1 Bob Mills – Tim Cone
Leg 1: KRTS to Marysville, CA (KMYV)
Turnover RV-1 Tim Cone - Mike Starkey
In Place for Golden West Fly In and Turnover to Joe Blank and Van’s Aircraft

Here's a table (current as of 5/19), showing the above:

Look for more details from each reception coordinator here, and on the RV-1 Official Tour site: http://rv-1.org/p/317

I hope to meet many of you out on the road, and look forward to sharing the RV-1 with lots of the gang throughout the Barnstorming Tour!

Please see my next post, and help me select some of the intermediate fuel stops along the way!!

Cheers,
Bob
Sport Class Air Racing "Race 49"
SARL "Race 49"
West Coast Ravens FFI RV Formation Squadron
APRS Track

Last edited by rvmills : 05-20-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 AM

As mentioned in post 1 above, each day during the Barnstorming Tour, we値l be making an intermediate fuel stop between overnight cities. I知 trying to keep the legs about 250nm in length, and have identified several potential refueling sites near the midpoint each day. I can pick them, based on fuel price and runway, but I thought it might be fun for all if we give RVers in the areas we値l be transiting the opportunity to weigh in and help me select refueling spots that may give more folks the chance to see the RV-1. And if anyone in the areas we are discussing would like to host the RV-1 for a tank of gas, we can choose the stop to facilitate that (the selection of Marshall County, IL on May 29 was in response to Bill Lane痴 generous offer of a fill-up there!)

Below are the potential stops each day. If you are local, and feel any of these would be the best in terms of RVs in the area or EAA chapters at the field, please chime in to help me narrow the field and choose the fuel stops. I知 also open to other choices not listed, if anyone knows of a hidden gem!

If we don稚 have any local input in the next several weeks, I値l just make the calls and post where the fuel stops will be, so pilots in the area can fly in to meet and greet the RV-1 if they like!

May 29
3C1 to KLXT (Midpoint near Peoria, IL)
C75 Marshall County (Bill Lane fuel host)

May 30
LXT to BJC (Midpoint near Hill City, KS)
Possible Fuel Stops:
Hill City, KS (KHLC)
Hays, KS (KHYS)
Russell, KS (KRSL)
Phillipsburg, KS (KPHB)
Norton, KS (KNRN)

May 31
BJC-OGD (Midpoint N of mountains near Rawlins, WY)
Possible Fuel Stops
Rawlins, WY (KRWL)
Casper, WY (KCPR)
Rock Springs, WY (KRKS)

June 1
OGD-RTS (Midpoint near Elko, NV)
Fuel Stop Elko, NV (KEKO)

So help me choose the stops on May 30 and 31!

I値l post the final fuel stop itinerary here and pass it to the RV-1 webmaster for inclusion on the Official RV-1 Tour Schedule: http://rv-1.org/p/317

Cheers,
Bob
SARL "Race 49"
APRS Track
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Question RV-1 CANADA TOUR

Hi Bob

Would you know the date the RV-1 is supposed to be in Smiths Falls,Ontario??

It is only 35 minutes flying from my place and I wanna see it up close if I can..

Thanks

Bruno Dionne
rv4@videotron.ca
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 PM

Bruno,

The schedule currently shows the RV-1 in Stanley on May 19th, and in Windsor on the 26th (rain date 27th). I don't have any more fidelity on Canadian stops yet, but perhaps Kevin Horton will roll in here with some additional info (he's chief cook and bottle-washer for the Canadian portion of the tour! )

If I hear more, will post!

Cheers,
Bob
SARL "Race 49"
APRS Track
Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
Hi Bob

Would you know the date the RV-1 is supposed to be in Smiths Falls,Ontario??

It is only 35 minutes flying from my place and I wanna see it up close if I can..

Thanks

Bruno Dionne
rv4@videotron.ca
Bruno,

Tell me the weather that week and I'll tell you which day it will be in Smiths Falls

The current plan is that the RV-1 will leave Sussex, NB on its way to Smiths Falls on May 21, or whenever we get a good weather window. The hope is to make it to Smiths Falls on that day, stay overnight, then Tom Martin will pick it up to ferry it towards Windsor. It has to get to Windsor by the morning of May 26, as there is a Fly-In Breakfast that morning.

The weather in NB during May is often quite variable, so it is not possible to know exactly which day it will be in Smiths Falls until we get to the week in question.

I will keep the RV community informed as the details of the ferry from Sussex to Windsor evolve, including the details of any planned formal or informal events during stops on that ferry. I will use the VAF Forums, the RV-1.org site and my personal site to share the info.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM

Default TDZ - Toledo Executive

Are there any more details available about the stop at TDZ in Toledo? EAA Chapter 582 (I am the chapter secretary) is based there and has a number of RVs built or in process. If you have some idea around when you will be there, we would be happy to organize a welcoming committee and fire up the grill for some good eats.

Any info would be appreciated.

pdj
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM

Paul,
Please keep the OhioValley RVators in the
loop as the schedule firms up for TDZ.
Quite a few of us want to meet up with
the RV-1 and TDZ is as close as it will
come to our area.

Thanks,
Tom Webster
Luscombe 8A/E (sold after 35 years)
RV-7A N462TW (315 hours)
CX4 (under construction)
Friends of the RV-1 http://www.rv-1.org/
Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 AM

Default TDZ, planned 5/28

Paul and Tom,

Current plan for Toledo Exec (TDZ) is for Tom Martin to fly from Windsor there to clear customs on the morning of May 28th. I'll get the RV-1 passdown from him there, and Don McNamara will fly in from Elkhart to meet us and chase me to 3C1 (Don's home drome) for the night.

Tom, Don and I have not set the final sked for that day, but I would think a mid-morning arrival will be planned. I think it would be great if we can spend some time with the local gang at TDZ and share the RV-1. That's the kind of interaction we were hoping this thread would generate!

We'll need to get to 3C1 to make whatever reception Don has set up that afternoon (and we'll watch the weather), but brunch or lunch (or just sodas, show and tell and hangar flying) with the TDZ RVers and EAAers would be great fun! Lets make that happen!

I'm flying (via jumpseat) into either Detroit (DTW) on my company, or to Toledo (TOL) offline, on the 27th. Will head to TDz in the am on the 28th. If there's anyone in the DTW area that wants to carry some "baggage" to TDZ on the morning of the 28th and see the RV-1, I'll buy some gas!

I'll talk with Tom, and we'll set an ETA at TDZ and let everyone know...then cross our fingers on Wx!

Thanks much!
Cheers,
Bob
SARL "Race 49"
APRS Track
Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Tentative plans for northern Indiana stop ...

We're still a couple of months out from The One landing at the Mishawaka Pilots' Club (3C1), so there's not much set in stone except for the RV-1 having a nice, safe hangar to nestle in overnight and for its pilot to enjoy an evening of R & R.

Disappointing was the news that the local EAA chapter was not particularly interested in participating in this historic event. Unlike the Toledo Exec group, there aren't any RV builders in the chapter, so I guess it just didn't light any fires with them.

So, while I do hope that we'll have a bunch of RVers who will fly up from the Indy area, down from Michigan or over from Chicagoland, I have a feeling that the big stop will actually be Toledo on Monday, Memorial Day, and that's OK. They have an active EAA chapter, great facilities and great people there!

That said, if you're looking to see The One and north-central IN is a good location for you, post on this thread that you want to pop into 3C1 and spend some time with us. Depending on when Bob and I leave Toledo, we'll arrive at 3C1 in the afternoon and can crank up the grills and toast some dogs-n-burgers! We have plenty of grass parking areas adjacent to my hangar and the grass runway (12/30).

More details to follow when we see how much interest there is and we see if The One is on schedule.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Default Better Idea

At least, I think so, Bob.

Instead of refueling in Elko, dog leg up to the Boise area and stop at Caldwell (KEUL, a favorite of Van's pilots). The area is chock-a-block with RVators and homebuilding of all stripes. Cheaper gas, too! The extra distance isn't all that much, and your appreciative viewship would be infinitely greater than at EKO.

John Siebold
Boise, ID