What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Clearance

Tbone

Well Known Member
What are the dimensions used on the clearance needed on the forward inlet ramp/cowling area? My -7 has fuel injection so I don't have much free clearance due to the filter. My cowl to spinner gap is not overly tight but trying to see what would be the minimal clearance on inlet ramp to cowling gap. Thanks!

By filter clearance, you mean you have horizontal induction and a snorkel? Because the filter on my vertical induction IO-360 has no bearing on the cowl fit. But in any case, I found that 3/8" at the upper inlet ramps is a good gap to allow the baffle seal material to fit tightly and still allow the cowl to drop for removal. For those without the snorkel, 1/2" is good for the inlet to the FAB; the cowl moves more there as it is removed. If I had it to do again, I'd go with larger gaps to make the cowl even easier to remove; minimal is not cosmetic when there's the gap seal covering it.

Last edited:
Of course

Yea thanks for the clarification. I wasn't thinking about a vertical injected setup. Mine is horizontal with snorkel. I may have to cut back my cowling inlets to get the clearance needed. With my K&N filter as far aft as it can go I only have about 1/8" clearance from the cowling. I don't want to cut no more than needed. I wonder what the minimal would be?

Back