VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 AM

Default RV-14 Tools

Are the tools required to build an RV-14 pretty much the same as any other kind of RV? Does this list on Vans website apply equally to the -14?: https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/tools.htm

I have a smaller, unrelated sheet metal project planned, and I would like to buy tools that would be appropriate for a build, should I go down that path.

I'd really like to focus on the initial tools that would be required for the empennage kit.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Default Tools

I'm new here too, so can't answer your RV 14 questions.
But,
I recently purchased the RV builders tool kit from Planetools.com.
They are set to arrive on Thursday of this week.
I'm not too far from you, if you want to come check them out or even do your small sheet metal project here at my hanger, you can play around with the tools and see what you will need for your empennage kit.
Not sure what your building, but I could probably make some room for you in a corner.
PM me if interested
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the generous offer. Upland is a little bit of a hike, but it would be cool to check out your hangar/project. I'll send you a message.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Tools

Welcome.
It's pretty close to most basic tool sets sold. Compare the basic sets from Cleveland, Avery and Isham.
A few suggestions to get started. Others will probably chime in.
Get a 3x and skip the 2x for a starter kit. Get a tungsten bar. Skip the 3/16" rivet sets. Vans spars are assembled. Get a swivel set.
I prefer the 2 lb dead blow. Heavy packing tape works great for rivet tape. Gorilla tape is awesome for all sorts of uses.
You might try a search on tools. There have been several threads recently with really good suggestions.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 10-06-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add text
Old 10-06-2014, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did search and read a number of threads on tools (I even saw the bit on using Gorilla Tape on the bucking bars to prevent mars!). In addition to the brands you mention, I see a lot of people seem to like the brand Sioux for rivet guns / drills.

However, I didn't see anything specific to the RV-14. Perhaps any differences are too little to warrant any major discussion.

Part of the reason I'm looking is because Aircraft Spruce had a little sale over the weekend, and is extending it for a short time to people that took one of the EAA classes, and I was trying to see if I could make use of it. Surprisingly, I found very few mention of tools bought at Aircraft Spruce..
Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Default Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I did search and read a number of threads on tools (I even saw the bit on using Gorilla Tape on the bucking bars to prevent mars!). In addition to the brands you mention, I see a lot of people seem to like the brand Sioux for rivet guns / drills.

However, I didn't see anything specific to the RV-14. Perhaps any differences are too little to warrant any major discussion.

Part of the reason I'm looking is because Aircraft Spruce had a little sale over the weekend, and is extending it for a short time to people that took one of the EAA classes, and I was trying to see if I could make use of it. Surprisingly, I found very few mention of tools bought at Aircraft Spruce..
I love my Sioux 3x and drill. Awesome products. The other two I would not want to be without is my pneumatic squeezer and tungsten bar.
I can't imagine the tool set for a 14 would be much different. At least not a basic set. Everyone needs that stuff. As far as tools from Aircraft Spruce, I'm sure they are fine. I hope you get a good deal.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 PM

Default Isham

One reason I chose the Isham at planetools, is they have a lot of Kline Tools, snap-on tools along with sioux. The kit comes with 3x pneumatic squeezer.
After my two day class, I'll try the tool box. Then go pick up the tail.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 AM

There are some RV14 specific Tools like:
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=79
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=630

If you have the cash, I highly recommend getting a pneumatic squeezer!
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 10-07-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
There are some RV14 specific Tools like:
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=79
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=630

If you have the cash, I highly recommend getting a pneumatic squeezer!
I have decided that a pneumatic squeezer is a must and I am now skipping lunches to save up for one.
Tail kit structurally complete
Ailerons Flaps and Fuel Tanks in progress
N87TY on hold
EAA 724 and 74 Member
Paid Jul 15 -Jun 16
Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedsNumberOneSon View Post
I have decided that a pneumatic squeezer is a must and I am now skipping lunches to save up for one.
Good call. I can't imagine not having one!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart