What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prepping Tank Items for Pro Seal

cwharris

I was wondering if there is a reason why builders are only prepping the tank skin areas where stiffeners and ribs will get the Pro Seal applied and not just prep the entire tank skin. Seems to me that it would be a whole lot faster just to prep the entire skin and all of the stiffeners and ribs instead of trying to mark everything off that needs to get prepped. Is there a reason to have to worry about the Alclad layer INSIDE the tank? I was just going to Degrease, Acid wash and then Pro Seal. Maybe even wipe everything down with MEK before I Pro Seal just to make sure of a good bond.

Condensation perhaps.

Just a thought. I believe condensation can occur inside the tanks, so it seems reasonable that you would want the alclad layer intact to help prevent corrosion.

The way I do it- Scuff the area around the ribs etc. with a scotchbrite pad, etch and alodine the entire interior, clean with mek before applying sealant.
(you're not going to remove the alclad unless you get seriously carried away).

I assume that AvGas does not dissolve alodine on the tank interior surfaces ?? .

Questions for rvbuilder2002 >> I guess too that AvGas does not dissolve the Sherwin Williams etching primer used in the QB kits done in the Philippines; if they do etch prime the interior of the tanks?? What does the QB kit have done on the tank interiors ??

I assume that AvGas does not dissolve alodine on the tank interior surfaces ?? .

Questions for rvbuilder2002 >> I guess too that AvGas does not dissolve the Sherwin Williams etching primer used in the QB kits done in the Philippines; if they do etch prime the interior of the tanks?? What does the QB kit have done on the tank interiors ??

The interior of QB fuel tanks is bare aluminum.

If I alodine everything inside the tanks will the Avgas dissolve this coating?

Alodine is a chromate acid chemical conversion coating. The resluting coating becomes part of the metal and will not wash off with fuel or solvent.

NOTE: liquid alodine should never be mixed, or come in contact with petroleum products due to risk of fire.

Alodine is a chromate acid chemical conversion coating. The resluting coating becomes part of the metal and will not wash off with fuel or solvent.

NOTE: liquid alodine should never be mixed, or come in contact with petroleum products due to risk of fire.

Soooo does that mean I shouldn't use Alodine inside my tanks?

No it just means do not mix liquid alodine with petroleum products, and be careful how you dispose the alodine waste so it does mix with things it should'nt and catch fire.

After treating the aluminum with alodine and neutralizing the surface with water, it is no longer a hazard.

No it just means do not mix liquid alodine with petroleum products, and be careful how you dispose the alodine waste so it does mix with things it should'nt and catch fire.

After treating the aluminum with alodine and neutralizing the surface with water, it is no longer a hazard.

Awesome! Thanks.

MikeH did you use Alodine inside your tanks? Did anybody use Alodine inside there tanks?

Back