What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ride-Along pilot (preferably CFI)

Hey guys

I am buying an RV 6 the weekend of July 10th. I am looking for a pilot to fly the plane down to NY with me (preferably someone who is a CFI).

Would anyone be interested?

**Professional Pilots only please** :)

Thanks! :D

Someone with high flying hours.. preferably experienced in RVs.

You know.. can't have two idiots flying coast to coast. Man would that be a disaster waiting to happen! :D :rolleyes:

You threw me off with the California forum post and a flight down to NY. Where are you going from and where are you going to?

You threw me off with the California forum post and a flight down to NY. Where are you going from and where are you going to?

Hey. Sorry for the confusion:eek:
My boyfriend is planning to get his transition training and tailwheel endorsement the week before flying out. We're either looking for an instructor in Northern Cali or SoCal. So it might be from either locations. We are planning to fly to Central NJ.

Thanks

What makes a pilot "professional"....... his suit?:rolleyes:

I presumed - perhaps incorrectly - that the OP meant he was willing to pay, in which case the pilot needs a commercial license and second class medical, at at minimum. But perhaps I misunderstood.

BTW, northern and southern California are not particularly close. They don't even like each other!

We are looking for a partner in flight!! With expenses covered.. We don't need them to be commercial pilots.

The plane is currently in Northern Cali (near Concord) and my boyfriend will be working in LA for the next two weeks, so really... both Northern Cali and SoCal are viable options... rivalry aside! :cool:

Ride along

As long as the ride along pilot isn't being paid, he is a passenger and so does not need to be a commercial pilot. Any passenger can give advice to the pilot. Many of us fly with other pilot friends and don't expect to split costs.

-Andy

As long as the ride along pilot isn't being paid, he is a passenger and so does not need to be a commercial pilot. Any passenger can give advice to the pilot. Many of us fly with other pilot friends and don't expect to split costs.

-Andy

Exactly.. My boyfriend is just looking for a pilot friend to fly with. He would be the pilot in command, and the pilot we are looking for would just guide him and "give advice" etc. I dont think that's anything illegal.

Exactly.. My boyfriend is just looking for a pilot friend to fly with. He would be the pilot in command, and the pilot we are looking for would just guide him and "give advice" etc. I dont think that's anything illegal.

Let's see. You want someone to go along, "give advice", hold your hand. And you'll provide free room and board. Ha! Sounds like some dates I had a long time ago. I guess that's okay. But what you said was:

"I am looking for a pilot to fly the plane..." and "All expenses paid" [Original post]

If you are paying him/her room and board, that's compensation for flying, if they are flying.

Just need to get the story straight.

Let's see. You want someone to go along, "give advice", hold your hand. And you'll provide free room and board. Ha! Sounds like some dates I had a long time ago. I guess that's okay. But what you said was:

"I am looking for a pilot to fly the plane..." and "All expenses paid" [Original post]

If you are paying him/her room and board, that's compensation for flying, if they are flying.

Just need to get the story straight.

Okay thanks. I am looking for someone who is interested so we can figure out how to do this. Are you interested? If not, have a nice day! :)

Last edited:
Kristi,

1. Find a reputable qualified instructor to provide transition training and tail wheel endorsement in your RV6 (If it's deemed safe and airworthy).

2. Schedule training.

3. Obtain and review training syllabus.

4. Attend training as scheduled. If identified standards are met > receive TW endorsement and transition sign off.

5. At the completion of training, after receiving the endorsements, ask the instructor to provide an evaluation of your cross country capabilities in the RV6. Inform the instructor you plan to fly the RV6 from Cali to NY (or where ever). Discuss routes and possible alternatives, WX and other factors such as range fuel stops, over night stays and lay overs. Have the instructor evaluate the PIC ability to make the flight alone.

I recently did the above steps. Took my transition training with Mike Seagar in his RV7 in Oregon like so many others on this site. Mike by far is the best and most patient instructor I've flown with.

Around 85 days later, I picked up my RV8 in Arizona and practiced there for three days allowing the WX to clear in NorCal (yes it actually rained once this year). All by myself, I took it slow flying from Benson AZ to Redlands CA the first day with a stop in Blythe to sort out the airspace over Palm Springs.

The next day I flew (alone) from Redlands to Cameron Park CA.

Your PIC should be able to accomplish a cross country flight from Concord to the east coast (or anywhere else for that matter). Only the PIC can make that decision.

Best wishes to the PIC. He's going to love owning an RV. I sure do.

Have you found someone yet?

I am 190 pound retired Engineer, commercial pilot, A&P, (RV-6 builder, owner, flyer almost 18-years) that relocated from Los Angles to Pittsburgh PA 1.5-years ago. I have made the round trip West to East trip over 20-times (quit counting after the 20th trip) over the past 17-years in my RV-6. 2,989 hobbs hours when I put the RV-6 away today. I also use an iPad with Stratus 2.

Sorry but I am not a CFI.

Times two

Kristi,

1. Find a reputable qualified instructor to provide transition training and tail wheel endorsement in your RV6 (If it's deemed safe and airworthy).

2. Schedule training.

3. Obtain and review training syllabus.

4. Attend training as scheduled. If identified standards are met > receive TW endorsement and transition sign off.

5. At the completion of training, after receiving the endorsements, ask the instructor to provide an evaluation of your cross country capabilities in the RV6. Inform the instructor you plan to fly the RV6 from Cali to NY (or where ever). Discuss routes and possible alternatives, WX and other factors such as range fuel stops, over night stays and lay overs. Have the instructor evaluate the PIC ability to make the flight alone.

I recently did the above steps. Took my transition training with Mike Seagar in his RV7 in Oregon like so many others on this site. Mike by far is the best and most patient instructor I've flown with.

Around 85 days later, I picked up my RV8 in Arizona and practiced there for three days allowing the WX to clear in NorCal (yes it actually rained once this year). All by myself, I took it slow flying from Benson AZ to Redlands CA the first day with a stop in Blythe to sort out the airspace over Palm Springs.

The next day I flew (alone) from Redlands to Cameron Park CA.

Your PIC should be able to accomplish a cross country flight from Concord to the east coast (or anywhere else for that matter). Only the PIC can make that decision.

Best wishes to the PIC. He's going to love owning an RV. I sure do.

I would echo the above. I purchased a RV 6 in Salem, OR. My wife and I flew out and I had several days of transition training. We flew back together to Florida from Salem. It was an incredible trip we both have fond memories of. The Rv is a dream to fly and you will both love it. I did take significant time prior to our cross country in planning the route and looking at alternatives. If your boyfriend has done any cross Country this is just an extension of the same. With a little planning you probably don't need a second pilot

Have you found someone yet?

I am 190 pound retired Engineer, commercial pilot, A&P, (RV-6 builder, owner, flyer almost 18-years) that relocated from Los Angles to Pittsburgh PA 1.5-years ago. I have made the round trip West to East trip over 20-times (quit counting after the 20th trip) over the past 17-years in my RV-6. 2,989 hobbs hours when I put the RV-6 away today. I also use an iPad with Stratus 2.

Sorry but I am not a CFI.

Could you pm me your phone number? Or call me? I pm'd you my phone number as well.

Back