What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canada to US Customs Questions

SR2500

Well Known Member
I've reviewed the threads that discuss bringing an aircraft into the US, but still have a few questions. I'm going to purchase a homebuilt, with the engine still in a box, and will trailer it to the US. I will cross the border from Montreal coming down toward Syracuse, NY. The value of the aircraft will be in excess of $10,000 USD. Can I do the paperwork at the border myself? Or, will I need to have the paperwork completed by a broker. If the latter, does anyone have a recommendation on who to use at a reasonable cost? What could I reasonably expect to pay in fees and taxes at the border? Credit Card, Check, other?
Thanks,
Jerry

If you were going the other was , US to Canada I'm quite sure you could self clear at the border. You will have to pay all taxes required in your state. There should not be any fees and a VISA would be OK for paying.

If you were going the other was, US to Canada I'm quite sure you could self clear at the border.
You can. I did. Mind you, I flew in, but I don't think it would be any different driving. Show bill of sale, pay tax on bill of sale, have a nice day.

The easy way

I bought an RV-8 project in Ontario and drove it back to the US in a rental truck last November. I used FedEx Customs Brokerage to do the paperwork and haven't regretted it a bit. Total cost was about $180. The thing is, the customs and border people are used to seeing trucking companies go back and forth with the same trucks and the same drivers over and over. Everyone is documented and there are no surprises; that's what the systems expects. All their crossings are automatically pre-arranged, a broker does the same for you. If you drive up in a rental truck they don't know is coming, you're going to stand out. Standing out is bad.

If you use a broker (I'd recommend FedEx, but they may all be similar) you'll do all your paperwork up front: drivers and vehicles will be documented with Drivers Licenses and VIN numbers, contents will be already documented and all the forms will be in the hands of Customs when you drive up to the window. So when they ask you for your paperwork, you'll hand them a bar-coded thing that brings up the entire paperwork package on their system because they have it already. It makes them feel better; it's normal. It took us 5 minutes to clear US Customs coming home and 4 minutes was just looking at the stuff they could see with the back of the truck open.

Also, in the random chance the Canadian Customs is curious why you're driving an empty rental van to Canada (the world situation being what it is, not a totally wrongheaded concern) you've got all this paperwork already prepared for your re-entry to the US.

Yes, they'll come and look in your truck, in my case it was obvious they were just curious. They didn't even get up in the truck to look thru things.

Plus, it kinda QC's your work: If you do everything to make FedEx happy, it guarantees Customs will be happy.

Find a Customs Broker and let them do the work for you.

FedEx Customs Brokerage

Clay,
Please PM or email with contact info for the people you used. I spoke with the shift supervisor at the Port of Entry yesterday and he told me it wouldn't be an issue that I could easily self clear at the time.
Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts

Update, Border Crossing

Earlier this week, Ruth and I crossed the border from Canada back to the US on I-81 with my new Cygnet in tow on a 22 ft. long trailer. The customs official asked me if it was for my personal use and what I paid for it. I never had to show any paperwork or fill out any declarations etc., or even get out of my truck. The price was less than $10K if that makes any difference. All in all, a non-event.
Best,
Jerry Folkerts

Back