What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on the seat pan for -6A

kdedmunds

I am closing up the inspection panels etc after having the condition inspection done and have just the pilots seat pan to screw in so the A&P can do his final looks and I can start flying again. For the life of me I cant get the holes to line up. I can get in about 75 % of the screws but then others will not line up. Is the seat pant part of the structural integrity of the the 6A? I wish i could tell you if they were all in at the beginning of the inspection but I didnt take them out so Im not sure. I can redrill the holes and reset t he screws or grind off about a 1/4 inch of the edge of the seat pan. Obviously the grinding would be easier. but if the screws are there just to cover the floor then I wouldnt worry about it.
Thanks

I am closing up the inspection panels etc after having the condition inspection done and have just the pilots seat pan to screw in so the A&P can do his final looks and I can start flying again. For the life of me I cant get the holes to line up. I can get in about 75 % of the screws but then others will not line up. Is the seat pant part of the structural integrity of the the 6A? I wish i could tell you if they were all in at the beginning of the inspection but I didnt take them out so Im not sure. I can redrill the holes and reset t he screws or grind off about a 1/4 inch of the edge of the seat pan. Obviously the grinding would be easier. but if the screws are there just to cover the floor then I wouldnt worry about it.
Thanks

The seat pan is structural, it is part of the spar carry-through.

It's puzzling why the pan would fit prior to the inspection but not now. You might try starting the screws in a different sequence.

Be sure that none of the screws are tight before all of them are started.

The seat ribs can "shift" a bit out of alignment. You may have to use an awl to position the ribs while starting the screws.

And, YES, the floor pans ARE structural.

The two seat pans overlap down the center. Are you sure the pilot side goes on last and overlaps the passenger side? Just that thickness difference will cause a bunch of the side screws to not fit. It may go the other way with pilot side seat first and then passenger side over the top.

Seat pan

RV6A purchased, I notice that there are 3 or 4 of the screws on the outboard sides were never drilled, is that a structural problem? Should I drill them and put in screws?

RV6A purchased, I notice that there are 3 or 4 of the screws on the outboard sides were never drilled, is that a structural problem? Should I drill them and put in screws?

They were harder to get at, and I'm guessing that they weren't put in because the outer ribs are about 1/8 inch too low and will pull down the seat pan.

Put the screws in, but rivet a suitable spacer to the outer rib flanges to allow the seat pan to lay flat.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the responses. The pans were painted in place so that helps with knowing how to overlap them. I will start the all the screws first. I have three that I can't seem to line up. I can see them but they are far enough off that they wont line up.

Back