- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2014, 01:45 PM

I know this has all been said:
1. What is the mission? Building time, fast transport, short field?
2. Be realistic about your skills and where you are going.
3. Do you want to play with your aircraft, turn wrenches, scratch head and redesign thing?
4. Think in light of above do you want a certificated aircraft.
5. Many instructors will not instruct for higher ratings in an experimental.

For me, a medium time pilot, I enjoy working on my aircraft almost as much as flying. I own a Longeze, have SEL, MEl, glider, instrument and commercial ratings. Can I get behind my aircraft, you bet! Do I enjoy it.. Yes! Just remember flying is easy but very intolerant of mistakes.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM

I would think the biggest limitation is the budget. I purchased my 6A with 136 hours of total flight time in a C182. After 5 hours of transition training my wife and I flew it back from Portland to Florida. Felt totally comfortable and loved the responsive controls and economy of the 6a. The insurance was comparable to the insurance on the 182 but after accumulating another 100 hours this year it has dropped significantly. We love the 6A but do recognize that it is an A model not a tail dragger. So it was a much easier transition for me
Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Default AA-1 vs AA-1A

The AA-1 had a different wing from later models and was considered hotter handling. IIRC, there was a wing leading edge cuff starting with the AA-1A, and subsequent models had larger tails. All had smallish O-235 engines and were low altitude, and very low density altitude, long runway airplanes.

Lots of pilots PIOed them on landing but that was poor technique not airplane IMHO.

Get lots of info from the type club and find a good instructor. I'd enjoy having one in Savannah but would not even consider it for the high desert out west.

Ed

15 hours total in AA-1/A/B/C a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Default low time pilot, RV3

I had 90hrs total when I first flew my -3, most of that in 172 and 152's. However, I also had 15hrs in a 7AC Champ, and four hours in RV4's (thanks to my RV4 pals in Arlington WA . The -3 is much easier to fly than the Champ, I never had trouble with either (the Champ heel brakes are annoying). The tailwheel springs MUST be rigged correctly on a -3 to get the docile ground handling - I use hw store extension springs that are slightly loose when just sitting there, tight when airborne.

- Steven
850 RV3 hours
(another one last weekend!)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highflight42x View Post
The tailwheel springs MUST be rigged correctly on a -3 to get the docile ground handling - I use hw store extension springs that are slightly loose when just sitting there, tight when airborne.
Steven,

Can you explain a little more about this (or maybe post a pic)? I'm having a hard time understanding how the springs could be loose-ish on the ground, but tight in the air..
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig