Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 PM

Craig Catto runs one of his props on his own RV6. I believe it has an O-320 in it. So he would be a good source of info...
Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up First class operation

Whatever your choice please note dealing w the folks at Catto was easy and painless. Great people. We replaced a Ted H. 2 blade wooden prop w a 3 bladed composite w nickel leading edges about 15 months ago for our RV-6 w Lyc O-360. It's a wonderful combination and silky smooth. Increased top end by 12 knots and upped ROC initially by about 500 fpm. Also their paint work was nearly a perfect match based on three different paint codes I obtained matching a wheel pant at the auto paint store. Very happy. We just put the airplane up for sale (getting Bonanza) so you can see some excellent pictures of the prop combination at one of the top airplane selling sites (RV6 - N607DC). Best of luck however you decide to go.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:48 PM

Default I have a three blade that....

Craig was building for his own RV-6. I love the look of the 3 blade and it runs smoother that the previous prop. I'm very happy with the performance of the prop. I was told that a 3 blade would affect the drag on landing but haven't four that to be any issue at all. The 3 blade does require that you modify the bottom of the cowl if you have a nose wheel
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM

I spoke to Catto and Craig has a 160hp O320 in his RV6. I was hoping to find some numbers on the 150hp engine.
Challenger II w/503
1952 Cessna 170B
Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Mike- I've got an O320 powered RV-6 with two blade Catto nickel leading edge. I replaced an Aymar Demuth about 3 years ago with it. I needed ability to fly thru rain. Actually lost a little speed, but I was willing to do this for the rain protection. Mine is a 70x70. I consistently true out at 190mph at 11,500'. I try to fly at 10500 or 11500 when winds allow. I'm running WOT at those altitudes and burning 8.7gph.
Locust Grove, GA
Mallards Landing
Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Thanks Jim. That is good info. They tell me the 70" pitch prop is their "cruise" prop and the 69" is the all around performer. What king of rpm are you getting at WOT. How about the climb? Are you happy with the 70" pitch?
Challenger II w/503
1952 Cessna 170B
Old 02-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Default 6A with a 3 blade Catto

First, Craig Catto is one of the finest guys I've ever dealt with and called friend. If you have an RV-6 get the 3 blade. If you have a RV-6A, get a two blade. Removing the bottom cowl is very difficult with a 3 blade on a nose wheel RV. On a tail wheel RV(where the 3rd wheel should be) removing the bottom cowl is easy.

FWIW. I've owned both and the next RV is a tail dragging slider with a 3 blade Catto.

IHN,

2017 Dues Paid

Robby Knox

"If it is to be, it is up to me" Thomas Smith
Old 02-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Mike,

From Craig when I was toying with the idea of trading out my Sterba for a Catto:

"Hello Dave,

I fly a RV-6 with 160hp. At wide open throttle at 7500, I turn 2700rpm and my TAS is 197-198mph. This is with my two bladed 70 inch diameter and 73 pitch. I build this prop all the way down to 68 pitch. Each inch of pitch is equal to about 50 rpm change, both in static and top end.

With the 70x73 my RV-6 cruises at 2450-2500rpm and 180mph.

Have you checked to see how fast your RV-6 is?. This being done at 7500 DA and WOT?

Regards,

Craig Catto"

Dave
RV-6
Just finished Condition Inspection
Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
They tell me the 70" pitch prop is their "cruise" prop and the 69" is the all around performer.
I think those pitches are smart. Craig and I were probably too aggressive going with a 70x72. When I'm up above 9,500 I can make it do everything I want. From a short field (1900' for me) or a long climb or near gross, it has to work too hard.

Last edited by humptybump : 02-08-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Thanks Jim. That is good info. They tell me the 70" pitch prop is their "cruise" prop and the 69" is the all around performer. What king of rpm are you getting at WOT. How about the climb? Are you happy with the 70" pitch?
Forgot to add that my engine is 150hp. At altitude, I'm turning about 2500rpm WOT. I cruise climb at about 150mph for 500'-700'fpm...depending on weight.
Overall, I'm happy with 70" pitch. I used to operate from a 2200' grass strip with obstacles at both ends with no problem. The heaviest I'd fly was to OSH every year...full fuel, 2 up with bags/gear. I'm 175 lbs and my son about 130 lbs. Of course, we'd takeoff early morning...but never a problem. I've taken off from that strip with large guys (230+) with no problems.
If you're a big guy operating out of a short strip...I'd probably go with 69"...otherwise 70" is fine.
Locust Grove, GA
Mallards Landing