What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ads-b compliance

Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
I just had my xponder (kt-76) re certified and the avionics tech was pushing me to start thinking about becoming ads-b compliant.

I haven't even begun to look into and now I suppose it's time to start.

The options he showed me were expensive and more expensive..

What's out there that replaces the transponder and encoder?? That is quality equipment, doesn't cost 1/2 the value of my airplane. I have a non waas GPS (klx135a).

Don't care about wx and traffic displays unless the increase in cost in minor
Don't want to fool with blue tooth or this talks to the iPad and this talks to the box in your pocket which has to have a cell signal...
Prefer TSOd radio equip

I have a dynon d10a but don't care about big EFIS displays or any other fancy stuff...

Anyone ...

Cm

Someone in another thread on this topic mentioned the Trig TT-31 as a slide-in replacement for the KT76.

EDIT: Seems you have to replace the tray to get ADS-B functionality. And, as airguy mentioned below, a WAAS GPS source - of course.

Last edited:
You'll still need a GPS receiver to feed high-quality data to the transponder after 2020 - might as well add that to the pile.

You've already got a D10, you could step that up to the Dynon 7" Skyview and use their transponder and GPS-2020 receiver puck and you're done.

Thanks

Read the specs on the trig. Didn't really talk about the waas gps except that it's required in the U.S.

The tech recommended the stratus esg. By appareo about 1000$ more

Cm

Thanks but I don't want more EFIS

You'll still need a GPS receiver to feed high-quality data to the transponder after 2020 - might as well add that to the pile.

You've already got a D10, you could step that up to the Dynon 7" Skyview and use their transponder and GPS-2020 receiver puck and you're done.

The stratus esg. Has a built in waas gps. Takes a feed from the encoder and is 1090es extended mode s Squitter it's 3500$ not installed.

I'm thinking the dynon 7inch set up is a lot more?

Cm

The Navworx and Freeflight systems are the least expensive and will work with your existing transponder. Lots of discussion on these already exist here on the forum.

If you're thinking about the Pitts or RV4 ( both I assume are experimental) you might want to look at the Navworx ADS600 EXP . It's a UAT ( Universal Access Txmitr) up to xxx altitude. It will interface to your existing Xponder provide GPS and meet 2020 compliance. For around 1500 or maybe less if you don't want to see traffic or Wx. Be prepared to wait a while.

Thanks Dennis

I read up on the navworx solution.
I assume these things have to be checked and certified like a transponder? Will avionics shops work on them?

What does the wifi feature do?
Didnt see anything about mode s
Cm

I read up on the navworx solution.
I assume these things have to be checked and certified like a transponder? Will avionics shops work on them?

What does the wifi feature do?
Didnt see anything about mode s
Cm

As far as I know, there is no change to certification. Just the transponder/pitot static system as before.

Mode S is only required if you plan to fly in Class A airspace (in the US). The feds are actually pushing for people that don't need S to use the 978/UAT band to reduce the load on the 1090 side, where all the big iron flies.

The D10A to SkyView swap, while expensive and a VERY good "value" for what you get, it is not easy. I've done the D100 EFIS to SkyView swap and it is a complete replacement of the entire system, including the AHDRs and Pitot, AoA, and Static routing.

However, having done that a few years back, the 2020 compliant GPS puck just arrived yesterday and will get installed this weekend.

While it is a good time to plan, look at what airspace being 2020 compliant excludes you from and decide if you really need ADSB. If you answer "Yes" to that question, then just plan for the future and keep praying the price becomes reasonable.

Getting educated

Thanks Bill
I have no interest in all the EFIS as I get plenty of time looking at it at work.

So if I buy a navworx set up and use my kt76 and encoder, and I install it, will I have have problems getting a,shop to certify it?

Cm

Thanks Bill
I have no interest in all the EFIS as I get plenty of time looking at it at work.

So if I buy a navworx set up and use my kt76 and encoder, and I install it, will I have have problems getting a,shop to certify it?

Cm

The Navworx box is approved for certified A/C too so it would be no problem.

The D10A to SkyView swap, while expensive and a VERY good "value" for what you get, it is not easy.

FWIW: When I converted from steam to Dynon SkyView I found it to be easy. It was time consuming, but actually fairly easy. Anybody that has put together an instrument panel will have no problem doing the conversion. Just be ready to spend quite some time doing it.

:cool:

FWIW: When I converted from steam to Dynon SkyView I found it to be easy. It was time consuming, but actually fairly easy. Anybody that has put together an instrument panel will have no problem doing the conversion. Just be ready to spend quite some time doing it.

You are correct. Drilling up the baggage floor, fabricating a new shelf on the tailcone, running new wires to the wings aND tail, mounting all the boxes, wiring up new breakers, carving and painting a new panel was easy. But then again, I have done those things a few time. It is definitely not a weekend project.

I completely agree with you on this part. It took me almost 5 months to do mine. VERY time consuming.

I hear you! It took me close to two months.

Definitely worth it though. The SkyView is one impressive piece of equipment!

Definitely worth it though. The SkyView is one impressive piece of equipment!

Yes, the SkyView is one impressive piece of equipment. Am I glad I did it, OH YES! Would I do it again, NOPE! But, I would pay somebody to do it. For me it was definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill

Cm

I think there are a lot of us out there like you Chris. We just want to be "street legal" for minimum cost without having to tear the plane apart.

Thanks Bill

Cm

There is nothing to certify. You just install it and that's it. You will need the TransMonSPE, but it's a piece of cake from there.

I just had my xponder (kt-76) re certified and the avionics tech was pushing me to start thinking about becoming ads-b compliant.

I haven't even begun to look into and now I suppose it's time to start.

The options he showed me were expensive and more expensive..

What's out there that replaces the transponder and encoder?? That is quality equipment, doesn't cost 1/2 the value of my airplane. I have a non waas GPS (klx135a).

Don't care about wx and traffic displays unless the increase in cost in minor
Don't want to fool with blue tooth or this talks to the iPad and this talks to the box in your pocket which has to have a cell signal...
Prefer TSOd radio equip

I have a dynon d10a but don't care about big EFIS displays or any other fancy stuff...

Anyone ...

Cm

For compliance, the absolute cheapest way to do it is to install he NavWorx box. Once configured you don't have to do anything. Your transponder/static Cert is still valid. If you want the weather and traffic to display on the iPad, it will be available to several Apps (not Foreflight or Garmin). I stall them with the TransMonSPE for $2,100 including antennas, so it's substantially cheaper than the other options. You can do it yourself substantially cheaper, of course.

I agree with Jesse's post for this OP. But it is not universally true, you need to look at what you already have. e.g., I have a Garmin 420W. For a $100 software upgrade it can provide the needed position data to a Trig TT-22. Because I already have a GRT HX I can buy a modified TT-22 driven by the HX for $2200. Sell my existing transponder (Garmin 327) for about $1K. No new coax or antennas needed. Net cost $1300 for ADSB-out. Add $500 for -in box if you want one. So 'what's the best deal' depends on what you have.

Right, but to swap out to the trig it's a lot more wiring than the NavWorx, which just needs power, ground and the TransMonSPE.

Right, but to swap out to the trig it's a lot more wiring than the NavWorx, which just needs power, ground and the TransMonSPE.

Not sure I agree - because of using the pre-exisiting GRT HX as a control head. I need to run one RS232 line from the Garmin 420W directly to the remote TT22 box. Also power and ground. And a single RS232 line from the GRT HX to the TT22. But no new coax or antenna (I need to check, I may need to change the coax connector). To minimize the cost I won't do the work until my biennial transponder check is nearly due anyway. I suspect the hardest part will be gaining access to the back of the Garmin 420W tray, to get another wire in there. Sure wish I had thought ahead and put some there during the original installation!

Last edited:
I received my GPS-2020 from Dynon Friday afternoon, got it installed today and pushed the software to the transponder. Life is good!

IMG_1996_zpsoiki5nel.jpg

ADSB Antennas

I've decided to go with the Navworx solution and have some questions on the antennas.

1. The External GPS antenna is quite expensive. The model number matches up to a Trimble GPS antenna. Are there alternatives? Is it necessary over the internal amplified antenna?

2. Would the internal amplified antenna have to be placed in the windscreen or could it be buried in the tail cone?

3. The UAT antenna is the AV-22 transponder antenna. Would the lesser expensive TED antenna work from B&C?

Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts

Airguy: Now that you have done your part, send an email, with tail number, to this site and ask them to check your last flight for ADS-B compliance. [email protected]. I sent mine in one night and got the reply next morning. Dan in Reno

I've decided to go with the Navworx solution and have some questions on the antennas.

1. The External GPS antenna is quite expensive. The model number matches up to a Trimble GPS antenna. Are there alternatives? Is it necessary over the internal amplified antenna?

2. Would the internal amplified antenna have to be placed in the windscreen or could it be buried in the tail cone?

3. The UAT antenna is the AV-22 transponder antenna. Would the lesser expensive TED antenna work from B&C?

Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts

First, which Navworx? The 600 is TSO'd, so you need to follow the TSO instructions with regard to antennas. The EXP is not TSO'd, you are relying on the manufacurer's statement that it meets the performance standards. So I would call the manufacturer, and ask him for what antenna configurations his statement applies. A gps antenna inside a metal tailcone most likely won't work well enough. Under a fiberglass fairing, I don't know.

Back