What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview vs. what I had planned?

1:1 Scale

Well Known Member
So I'm in the middle of rebuilding my Maule, putting it on a diet and updating the panel. Initially, I was interested in the Skyview, but was told it would likely be years before they had an STC for the Maule, so I started looking at other options.

Last week, I thought I had my plan. A PS engineering PAR 200A COM/intercom?audio panel, Lynx NGT-9000 transponder, Avidyne IFD-440, panel mounted Ipad mini running Foreflight and the IFD-100 app, two Aerovonics AV-30's, an Electronics International CGR-30C, and likely steam airspeed, altimeter and VSI if required.

Now with the Skyview an option again, I think I'd still use an AV-30 for backup, and keep the IFD-440, but I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on the Dynon transponder vs. the NGT-9000. I liked the idea of being able to declutter the GPS display by having traffic displayed on the NGT, as well as weather. The NGT will also give you traffic call outs, even below 2000', which would be nice in the pattern, and NOTAMs, METARs, TAFs, etc.

Basically, at this point I'm torn. I THOUGHT I had a plan:D The Skyview will cost more in hardware alone, but I don't know when labor is taken into account. It will also take up more panel space- I was liking the idea of having nothing to the right of the center stack, but that won't be a possibility the Skyview AND Ipad.

Thoughts? I'm sure I'm missing plenty....:rolleyes:

The SkyView transponder is, I believe, one of the best values out there. It meets the ADS-B out requirement, provides TIS displayed on the SkyView moving map, and is less cost than the other options.

Add the SKyView ADS-B receiver and now you have a fully integrated display on your SkyView EFIS.

If you have the panel space I strongly recommend a second SkyView EFIS instead of the iPad. I find the iPad running ForeFlight to be an excellent flight planning tool. In the cockpit the iPad, for me, is just the third backup.

Carl

+1 for Carl's recommendation.

Skyview linked to FF on my iPhone gives me traffic call-outs and the 500' (GPS) AGL as well. Skyview itself will only say "Traffic" at this point in time but I imagine they'll incorporate the more detailed information, like FF, at some point.

Watch and learn

If you spent some time behind a Skyview panel and watched it do its thing...you would have your answer.

The SkyView transponder is, I believe, one of the best values out there. It meets the ADS-B out requirement, provides TIS displayed on the SkyView moving map, and is less cost than the other options.

Add the SKyView ADS-B receiver and now you have a fully integrated display on your SkyView EFIS.

If you have the panel space I strongly recommend a second SkyView EFIS instead of the iPad. I find the iPad running ForeFlight to be an excellent flight planning tool. In the cockpit the iPad, for me, is just the third backup.

Carl
So will the iPad upload a flight plan from ForeFlight to the Skyview? I know it will upload to the IFD. That's one of my biggest concerns at this point- what will communicate with what, and in what capacity? I assume if the IFD and Skyview communicate, that it shouldn't be a problem to upload a flight plan from ForeFlight to the IFD, and into the Skyview....

I know Dynon has been good with providing pretty consistent updates in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me if they improved the traffic call outs (TIS? Seems everyone has their own names for various features), but just calling out "traffic" isn't nearly as useful as giving the actual location and distance like the NGT. From Tim Olsen's site:
includes ATAS, which means it will call out traffic in a way such as "Traffic 2 o'clock High, 3 Miles" and phrases similar to that. In fact, after watching this video "L3 and Aspen Present: Making a Sound ADS-B Investment" I came away with even more appreciation for their unit. It's the ONLY unit out there that's certified for the level required to allow these traffic call-outs under 2000' AGL (if I'm remembering this right). Apparently the other systems have to limit their traffic alerting at those altitudes such as pattern altitude, because of their certification level. And, there are some smarts to the alerting as well in that they claim you can even fly in formation with other planes with this system without getting inappropriate alerts.
It sounds like maybe ForeFlight gives traffic call outs? I want aware of that, as I haven't used ForeFlight yet since I've never had any Apple devices.

I know Skyview is a very capable system, I just haven't been keeping up with it since I didn't think it was a reality for me and thought I had my panel planned out. So now I'm trying to compare the two setups

Kelly,

I fly with a complete Skyview system, a GNS-430W and a Flight Stream 210 (uses Bluetooth to send/receive flight plans from Foreflight only to the GNS-430W). For the purpose of this discussion, I believe the IFD440 and the GNS-430W function the same way (IFD440 actually has more features).

I do my flight planning on Foreflight, and when in the plane, turn off the Wifi on the Ipad, and have the Ipad paired via Bluetooth to the Flight Stream 210. I send the IFR flight plan to the 430W and activate it. (If I leave both the Dynon Wifi and Bluetooth on, the "send to panel" function defaults to the Skyview).

You need to make sure that the Skyview HSI has the IFD440 as the "selected source" for navigation = the flight plan you sent from Foreflight.

I then switch the Wifi back on the Ipad, and connect to the Dynon Wifi (making sure you have their USB Wifi connector). I receive both Weather and Traffic (from Dynon ADSB/Xponder) on my Skyview and Forelfight.

Hope this helps. Tim

So will the iPad upload a flight plan from ForeFlight to the Skyview? Yes, via WiFi adapter in each screen.

It sounds like maybe ForeFlight gives traffic call outs? Correct, assuming it is being fed traffic from some external device over Wifi (Dynon) and you connect the FF device to your headset via BT or cable.

Response above...

Last edited:
Yes to the above.

I have dual Skyviews in both my ships, one 10? and a 7?. HDX in the -10 with all the trimmings and regular in the Rans. If you go with dual screens, I would not recommend the 7?. It is on the right side and is too small to easily read from the pilots side. To do map work or when a copilot is flying, I switch screens. I used the 7? because it left room underneath for a 430 if I ever wanted to go to full IFR.

When I finished the Rans I stole the -10 screens and updated the -10 to HDX. The HDX is much better and the old screens are hard to use in the Rans when it is getting beat to death in low level turbulence the Rans seems to always be in.

Back