What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I get permission from Disney to use a Kermit-pic on the RV?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

We're in the process of deciding which paintscheme to use on our second -7, and so far one thing is certain: it's name will be "Kermit" so we want to put a 3D pic on Kermit on the VS.

For example like this:

The easiest thing to do, would be to get a high resolution pic, make a "label" from this (just like the registration letters) and put it on the VS.
My paintshop can do this easily as long as they have a high res pic.

So far I've found the above pic in low res on the net, and I guess Disney is sitting on the copyrights for both high and low res pics.

I've tried to search the Disney sites for clues about how to get permission and acess to a high res pic, but I keep getting lost in endless web-pages.
My english isn't all that good either, when it comes to reading "legal-stuff".

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Another sollution is ofcourse to have the paintshop PAINT the 3D pic on the VS, because then that painting would be the propery of the painter and not Disney. In that case, it'd be no problem to put it on the VS, correct?

This sollution would be alot more expensive and time consuming, so I prefer the first way...

Anyone have some ideas whom I can contact in the Disney world?

Maybe the finished RV will look like this:

(This is a photoshop manipulated pic of my first RV Wilco who is made into a Kermit paint-scheme)

Last edited:
Another sollution is ofcourse to have the paintshop PAINT the 3D pic on the VS, because then that painting would be the propery of the painter and not Disney. In that case, it'd be no problem to put it on the VS, correct?

Yeah, not so much. Copying someone else's copyrighted work is a violation, pretty much regardless of how the copying is done.

Truth be told, you probably could have done this and flown for years, nay, decades and never heard a word from WED, but of course, if you did, you'd have to repaint your plane or remove the sticker.

But NOW you've done it :) You let the cat out of the bag...

If you do get ahold of someone there, expect a pretty pricey fee for use of their intellectual property, IF they allow it at all.

I suggest that you look for a poster of Kermit to purchase. A decal type poster would be ideal. Once you purchase such poster decal have your painter apply the decal and come back over it with clear coat and staple the receipt for the purchase of such decal in your logbook and show an entry in the logbook that the purchased decal was applicated on the airplane. Naturally if you put a decal on both sides you would purchase two decals.

I think that Mr. Daves knows of what he speaks - I like those big decal posters he has on his -10.... :)

Not quite you are looking for.

55D8CB110E2A05BED69863D40CD9ACAC6A102750.jpg

http://www.roommatesdecor.com/the-muppets-wall-decals.aspx

Put this one on it with the words "Come And Take It" like on the Gonzales Flag.

gangstakermit.jpg

Just kidding... :D

If you reeeeaaaalllllyyyy want to talk to them about licensing an image, you could try this: https://licensing.disney.com/Home/d...rint=false&language=en&preview=false&region=0 They have an office for Norway in Denmark. :) ....that is for licensing for a product for profit though. But, I doubt they'll give you an image otherwise.

The poster idea sounds ideal.

If you're interested in the legal aspect, check into what your fair-use laws are in Norway, to see where your use in a personal (but publicly visible) manner would fall. It is likely different than the rules in the US.

It is possible.
A friend of mine owns a P-51. He has a likeness of Mickey dressed as Merlin painted on the engine cowl. He went through all the proper channels with Disney to get permission. It's been long enough now that I don't remember how hard it was or what it cost etc but it is possible.

Merlin's Magic

Here is a good legal advice thread regarding the personal use of an NFL logo:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-paint-an-nfl-logo-on-a-friends-private-swimm-269918.html

I believe your case may be viewed as "fair use" and personal. You are not necessarily copying to make a profit off something. Additionally, you are using a character and not a logo, which helps your case.

*I have had snoopy as my avatar pic for years now and the Peanuts Worldwide LLC has not come after me... yet

Last edited:
In this case, perhaps it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. As in apply as a decal, enjoy flying, and if anything were to ever come up, you will have direct contact with the right people to try and get permission. In a worse case scenario, remove the decal, repaint the tail if needed. But, as this is not a logo, you probably have no worries. Consider also asking an attorney in Norway familiar with trademarks and copyrights their advice before engaging the bureaucracy of Di$ney.

BTW, love the concept and mockups!

But, as this is not a logo, you probably have no worries.

Good point.

And (in the US) it would make a difference if someone else was hired to do it vs. you doing it yourself. The person you hired could be liable in some cases. Etc. Etc.

And, if you go fly your plane with Kermit on it in an airshow, and get paid for it.... Etc. Etc.

Here is a good legal advice thread regarding the personal use of an NFL logo:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-paint-an-nfl-logo-on-a-friends-private-swimm-269918.html

I believe your case may be viewed as "fair use" and personal. You are not necessarily copying to make a profit off something. Additionally, you are using a character and not a logo, which helps your case.

*I have had snoopy as my avatar pic for years now and the Peanuts Worldwide LLC has not come after me... yet

One thing about legal advice on the internet...it's worth what you paid for it.

That link is about *trademarks*, not copyrighted material. Rest assured that Mickey, Goofy, Ronald McDonald, and other fictitious *characters* created by corporations can and are *copyrighted*, and Disney is among the most aggressive at enforcing their copyrights.

"Fair use" does not mean what everyone seems to think it means. Just because it's on something you own doesn't mean it's not a copyright violation...that'd be something for an attorney to advise you on.

Again, like an avatar, you could probably use it to your heart's content and never hear a word. But if you start showing up at airshows and displaying it, etc., your odds of hearing from one of Disney's intellectual property attorneys likely goes up.

There's a world of difference between using an image as an avatar and plastering one on the tail of your plane and flying it around for everyone to see. :)

Best to do some research on copyrights. I jumped thru a bunch of hoops trying to get permission to use "Hagar the Horrible" on mine. What I finally found out was that for your personal use, not selling it for profit, is perfectly legal and provided for in the copyright laws.
We just went thru some of the same with some cloth bought at Walmart with Mickey's on it. In the edge of the cloth it states it is perfectly legal for YOU to make things for YOURSELF with this cloth.

Last edited:
IP Law in Norway specifically. Well that, and any international treaties and such that may come into play. (I was using "fair use" generically... I don't even know if that exists in Norway, or how it applies.)

None of this mean of course, you couldn't just do it and never be bothered. Or, that it might be perfectly legal and you get sued anyway. :)

...and another angle, if you want it....

don't put 'Kermit' on you plane. Don't refer to the image as such.
....put a "green frog puppet" image on there.
change the shade of green to Pantone PMS 369, make his eye pupils different and alter the number of spikes on the thing around his neck.
.....presto, he is no longer 'Kermit', at least, in a defensible way.

we used to do this when kids asked for somehting printed on thier t-shirts for a little league team.

(just my $.02, i am not a lawyer.)

Thanks...

.... for all the input guys.
You got me thinking towards new ways to solve this problem.

I've been considering the "easier to get forgiveness than persmission" way earlier, and have dicided that I'll try the permission-way first.

I have one question regarding the poster of Kermit: The one in this link:
http://www.roommatesdecor.com/the-muppets-wall-decals.aspx

If I buy this decal and put it on the VS, will that be legal?
I mean: I have bought that decal through a webshop, so I guess that means that it''s mine to use, right?
It certainly won't be used in any commercial way....

Or am I wrong thinking this?

Last edited:
If I buy this decal and put it on the VS, will that be legal?

As long as you don't sell photos of your airplane with that image on it, it is legal. You purchase it for your personal use. Put it on your wall, your airplane, your car, ... is considered personal use.

If I _____________, will that be legal?

If you really, truly, want an answer to that question from someone who knows about what they're talking, make sure you ask *an attorney*, not an internet forum :) (and even then, the answer may be wrong).

Yes, you're *probably* fine with doing whatever, but since this seems to be something about which you're concerned (concerned enough to ask the question on this forum), why not ask someone who is trained in the field and can give you an answer based on the law?

(Frankly, I'd just do it and be done with it and I'd have never asked anyone in the first place, but since you opened the door... :) ...well, there you are!)

Thanks for the inputs guys.

My main goal is to get hold of a high res pic so I can use it on the VS, and as I mentioned on my first post, I have not been able to find the high res pic I need.
That's why I have "opened the door" here on this forum to see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

The best idea I've gotten from this tread, was the one with the link of where to buy the Kermit decal.

I'll do some research and see what I come up with.

Thanks again for all the inputs. :)

Back