What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operating limitations

towpilot2003

I'm New Here
I'm curious about operating limitations required to be on board my RV-4. There isn't really a "book." (POH) Is it placards and markings along with the piece of paper that states the type of maneuvers the aircraft is approved for (Rolls, loops, spins, etc...)? Never really thought about it before.
My example would be sailplanes, many do not require a POH, but the markings and placards count as all the info you really need to know...

Thoughts, answers?

Thanks.

I'm curious about operating limitations required to be on board my RV-4. There isn't really a "book." (POH) Is it placards and markings along with the piece of paper that states the type of maneuvers the aircraft is approved for (Rolls, loops, spins, etc...)? Never really thought about it before.
My example would be sailplanes, many do not require a POH, but the markings and placards count as all the info you really need to know...

Thoughts, answers?

Thanks.

No POH required, the Ops limitations are issued by the FAA with the airworthiness certificate, basically it's a 2 or 3 page document that tells you the legal reqmnts which you are required to comply with to operate the aircraft.

What Walt said...and they are actually PART of the airworthiness certificate and MUST be in the airplane for the airplane to be flown legally (in the US at least).

My Exp Airworthiness is stapled to the Ops Limits and I keep that in a zip-lock bag with the Program Letter and other "AROW" stuff in a little pouch.

I have found it makes life easier at airshows to just keep a photocopy of the last annaul stuff in there also, but absolutely not required for normal life.

thanks guys. I've had the plane four years and never really thought about it since I purchased it. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

Limitation on my RV8

OK guys, I am confused. I saw an RV8 the other day and noticed a big sign in it stating "No Aerobatics Permitted." I got to wondering as I though everyone did aerobatics in RV's, especially 8's. Then I pulled the little document out of mine, and sure enough, line 15 says ""This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight....." Why is this, and how do I correct it?

When the aircraft is certificated, the builder states whether or not he wishes to be approved for aerobatics. Some do not wish to be "OK'd" for aerobatics for one reason or another.
If he states that he wants aerobatics, he must show some kind of documentation that the aircraft is capable. For example, it would be very difficult to get an RV-9, -10, or -12 approved for aerobatics, whereas, most RV-3s, -4s, -6s, and -8s will normally be approved unless there is some modification that would make the inspector to take exception.
If your particular aircraft is "aerobatic prohibited", you can request that your operating limitations to be amended to include aerobatics. The inspector will most likely want to inspect the aircraft to see if there might be a valid reason that they are prohibited.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty straight forward. I talked to the builder and he had no specific reason not to have. I guess I'll call my FSDO.

So, I called my FSDO up in Scottsdale last Friday to discuss the process of having aerobatic flight added to my limitations, hence a new type certificate. The fellow that answered said he was not certain, but asked me a few questions about what I wanted, and stated that he'd call me back. He did call me back, only a few moments later, and said "this is easier than I thought it was..." He asked me if I had an 8130 form, and if I did not, he'd provide one. He said he'd have the paperwork done on his side by Monday, and that I should make an appointment to come up for the visit. I said I would, and then got busy! I called him back today, and he was quite happy to hear from me, saying he was ready, and that he'd be driving down to my home field, that's a 3.5 hour drive, next week to go over it, and the aircraft with me. He asked me if Wednesday at 10:00AM would work, to which I said yes, and he said he was looking forward to meeting me and he'd have another fellow along. This fellow is a pilot himself, just selling his Citabria, and he told me there was another fellow in the FSDO that had just built a beautiful RV-7, so I feel good that he seems to see things from a pilot's perspective. I asked him what I needed to have with me, and he said just the aircraft logs, current type certificate, etc. I think my RV-8 is in tip top shape, and all the paperwork is in order, and I just finished my first condition inspection, along with my A&P. I think the fellow coming along is an "operations" guy that he says will help us plot out a test area where he'll require me to have at least 5 hours of aerobatic flight in to complete the process. Sooooo, what should I expect during this meeting? Anything to watch out for, or include that I may have not thought of?

Sounds as if everything is in order. I assume that the "type certificate" he mentions is the airworthiness certificate. There's no such thing as a type certificate for an amateur-built aircraft.

What he should issue is an "amended" airworthiness certificate and new operating limitations.

Probably a good idea on Coffee and Donuts! Yes, I actually meant air worthiness certificate. I guess I am a bit surprised that they'd drive 3.5 hours just for little old me!

Back