What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Questions?

Gary's RV7A

It's time to buy an engine...

There are so many options with every engine and prop combination. So I'm pretty sure I want the Aerosport IO-375. However, I'm struggling with, what type of ignition system I want. I was leaning towards (2) P-Mags but a buddy suggest looking into the Lasar Electronic Ignition system. Is it worth the extra cost? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks, Gary

Lots of info in the archives available. For those RV folks with electronic ignition, the current best sellers seem to be pmags and the Lightspeed system. While you can always find posts about someone with problems on any type system, both of these are relatively reliable. Lightspeed has a longer track record. I like my p-mags, and they are the only ones I am aware of that are self powering above 1000 rpm or so. I have nothing bad to say about the Lasar system, but the installation and set up of the pmags cant be beat, and I doubt you will get the same personal customer service that the pmag folks provide. I like the fact that when I call them, the guy that picks up the phone is the guy with answers. If you do have trouble, will the folks at Lasar drop a loaner system in the mail for you for no $, with only a request that you send back either the originallly installed unit or the loaner unit after you are done troubleshooting? Pmag folks did for me.

erich

I know a couple of people that had Lasar and pulled them due to issues.

I had considered them when I was buying my engine, but when I researched, I couldn't find any mechanic in my area that was willing to work on them, appreantly the tools are very expensive.

Electroair is another company that I have heard positive review about, much information can be found here.

Good luck

Gary

An Aerosport Power engine with two P-Mags is the way to go.
Bart and Sue are great to deal with.

Unlike lycoming, they have a three year warranty that starts when you start your engine.

As stated above, the guys at P-Mag are also very good to deal with.

Bryan Carr

Ignition Systems

It's time to buy an engine...

There are so many options with every engine and prop combination. So I'm pretty sure I want the Aerosport IO-375. However, I'm struggling with, what type of ignition system I want. I was leaning towards (2) P-Mags but a buddy suggest looking into the Lasar Electronic Ignition system. Is it worth the extra cost? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks, Gary

Lots of info in the archives available. For those RV folks with electronic ignition, the current best sellers seem to be pmags and the Lightspeed system. While you can always find posts about someone with problems on any type system, both of these are relatively reliable. Lightspeed has a longer track record. I like my p-mags, and they are the only ones I am aware of that are self powering above 1000 rpm or so. I have nothing bad to say about the Lasar system, but the installation and set up of the pmags cant be beat, and I doubt you will get the same personal customer service that the pmag folks provide. I like the fact that when I call them, the guy that picks up the phone is the guy with answers. If you do have trouble, will the folks at Lasar drop a loaner system in the mail for you for no $, with only a request that you send back either the originallly installed unit or the loaner unit after you are done troubleshooting? Pmag folks did for me.

erich

I know a couple of people that had Lasar and pulled them due to issues.

I had considered them when I was buying my engine, but when I researched, I couldn't find any mechanic in my area that was willing to work on them, appreantly the tools are very expensive.

Electroair is another company that I have heard positive review about, much information can be found here.

Good luck

I've had three different RV's with two different electronic ignition systems. I started out with the ElectroAir system back in the early '90's, and had relatively good performance until the timing sensors started failing (change in source vendor issue). The second plane stated out with the ElectroAir systems, which had nothing but trouble (again timing sensors), so I switched to PMAG's. They were a new company then, and also had teething issues for a while, but much better reliability than the ElectroAir systems. I reverted to a PMAG/MAG combination for a while, while they did software updates.
The Third plane started out with a PMAG/MAG combination, but after 525 Hours of no ignition issues, I switched to dual PMAG's (The MAG needed a tune up!).
The PMAGS are quite reliable and have much better performance relative to straight MAGs. I'm testing operations with E10 Autogas, so having the ability to throw a switch to change the timing curves when I change fuel types is a real advantage.

P-Mags it is...

Thanks for the input, I've heard a lot of good things about Aerosport. It's nice to know that E-Mag Ignitions also has great support. Besides my house, I've never spent so much money. The more information I can find, the better the decision. For now, it looks like dual P-Mags and Aerosport IO-375.

Thanks again for the input! This life long dream is getting too be expensive. Someday I'll have a total, now, if only I was independently wealth...

I was going to go with either Aerosport or Mattituck. When I called Aerosport they treated me kind of like I was a telemarketer who'd called during dinner (it was around 3-4pm pacific when I called). Sue kind of gave me a rundown but I felt like she was rushing to get me off the phone. I would have preferred a "this is a bad time, please call us back later". I had really been considering the IO-375 prior to that. Mahlon at Mattituck spent an hour on the phone with me and I think I may have actually postponed his lunch. Mattituck got the order. Lots of people have gotten great service from Aerosport and I guess you can catch anyone at a bad time.

From what I've heard here and elsewhere Aerosport has a wonderful reputation.
Their communication skills are a bit lacking IMO . Best I think to phone vs. email and remember they are not a huge co. like Lyco.

Aerosport IO375

I received my IO375 from AEROSPORT last November. I have nothing but good things to say about their company as far as talking to me during the ordering process. They answered all of my questions very straight forward and did not try to put the hard sell on me. I called another dealer in the states that must have thought I was stupid. They flat out lied to me about things that I am knowledgeable about. Aerosport talked straight to me and they got their sale. I purchased the Eagle EMS electronic ignition and injection system. I talked to them quite a bit on this subject and they told me what I needed. I feel comfortable with the way they do business. I have not run the engine yet, so I can not advise you on this system.

Dennis C

RV7A

G3i

Have you looked at the G3i system? It utilizes Slick mags and turns them into electronic ignition. The equipment is around $1000. (+the cost of the Slicks).

In the event of power interruption or other electronic failure, the system becomes standard Slick mags as if there was nothing else attached.

My neighbor has the system on his 360 powered Glasiar and loves it. I believe Larry Vetterman is running it as well. I'm putting it on my new 7 with Barrett/Lycoming IO390.

Nothing wrong with the P-mags either. All the bugs have been worked out.

Back