What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Seat Belts

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Is it just me, or do others think that the standard Vans seat belts are too short ?

I have had a couple of stout but not Bubba sized guys in my 7 and I have to fix the belt to

3....2....1.... breath in !

Needs another 2" each side on the lap strap IMHO

I agree Mike. While at it, make them 4" or so longer. The webbing is not that expensive.

Too Short

Dito...You feel bad for the guy who can't get it buckled. No way to start a fun flight.

Just right

My belts are circa 1999 and I have always thought they were shorter than the belts sold today. I'm glad they're short.

1) Keeps me from taking big guys for a ride.

2) Most importantly short belts made me loose weight.

I started getting big, really big for me, finally tipping the scales at 264 lbs. I'm just shy of 6' and had to remove the wedge under the seat to wear the belt comfortably. I though of building some extenders and decided not to. I would loose weight. I am now down to 218 (and still dropping) and feel better too. So I'm glad Van supplied me with a smaller set of belts.

Yep!

I had to install 4" extensions to all of mine many years ago.

I didn't use Van's belts, and mine (Cessna, IIRC, bought new for $20 for the two sets on close-out!) are plenty long. The problem is, my partner and I are considerably different sizes. He needs a long belt, and I want the latch centered. I built a roll-up device that takes 3-4" out without having to re-adjust the tongue end length. Roll one roll and put in a pin. It will stand all the pull the webbing will take, although I don't want to test it! I would like belts that adjust on each end but will live with my solution.

Bob

I am glad others have had issues, not just me.

I have looked at Crow, but can't find a ref on their website.

Does anyone have a link, or do you just call them ?

Alternatively, it will be Mr H again ;)

I am glad others have had issues, not just me.

I have looked at Crow, but can't find a ref on their website.

Does anyone have a link, or do you just call them ?

Alternatively, it will be Mr H again ;)

Call them the next time you're stateside Mike- you can equip with Crow's for about a quarter of what it costs for some of the dedicated aviation belts, and believe me - the belts will survive much more than you can. It took about a minute on the phone with them to order the harness for our -3 project, and we had it in a couple of days.

Paul

Back