What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's in Hawaii

TS Flightlines

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Alot of you fly your RV's to some really beautiful places. After looking at the white pages, I noticed that there weren't any RV builders in Hawaii. Man, what a beautiful place to fly an RV.
Any thoughts???
Tom

There was an RV-8 in Hawaii, but it had an engine failure and ended up in the ocean between two of the islands. The pilot did everything right and survived. He was quickly retrieved by the Coast Guard.

Beautiful? No question. Variety? Not so much. In all honesty, I think it'd get boring after a fairly short time. At RV speeds you can circle any of the islands pretty quickly, check out all the waterfalls, valleys, volcano peaks, etc. Yes, you can easily fly to neighboring islands. But guess what, more of the same...

Don't get me wrong- I used to work summers on Maui while I was in college, and have been back many times since. Rented a Cessna and flew around Maui a number of times back then. Even thought about moving there at one point (one of my sisters DID). And yes, it's beautiful. I still LOVE it there.

But we're talking about flying. Here on the mainland we've got an endless variety of landscapes and climates within a few hours. Hawaii just seems too limited, especially at RV speeds. Just my opinion of course...

Last edited:
But we're talking about flying. Here on the mainland we've got an endless variety of landscapes and climates within a few hours. Hawaii just seems too limited, especially at RV speeds. Just my opinion of course...

I also would agree. It's beautiful, but doesn't take too long to see it, even at Cessna speeds. Not even at road vehicle speeds for that matter. In the meantime, I'm stuck out here in the mountain west between the Grand Canyon, Jackson Hole, etc.... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

There are at least 3....

at Barber's Point on Oahu. An RV-7A Egg, an -8A (almost done), and a -9A. I've had a few layovers in HNL and have met some of the guys who rent out floor space in an old P-3 hangar at PHJR (the old NAS Barber's Point). Really nice guys with a lot of acitivty.

Here's a link to some photos of their a/c and hangarmates: http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerfamilyenator/BarberSPointPHJRFieldHawaii#

The story about the -8 that went down in the channel was that, after the decision to ditch was made, the pilot did everything right, including opening the canopy. As he touched down in the water, the gear hit and the a/c flipped over. The canopy slammed shut and he had a heck of a time getting it open. He did get it open and was rescued.

As a result, Colby Jones, builder of the -9A, did not use bolts to attach his slider canopy to the rollers. He used pullout pins, in case he ever has to ditch. Things we don't have to think about on the mainland!

Gary, still good info. I have flown to the Bahamas, Caymans and Baja Mexico. All exposed me to the low risk of water landing.

hadnt thought of that

I hadnt thought of that. But, then again, thats why I asked the question!!!!
Just thought it would be cool to fly the islands.
Tom

Contact Info

Does anyone have some contact info on these guys? We will be heading there in December for my 50th B-day and I would love to get a couple of landings in Hawaii to add to my airport landing list. :D :D

Does anyone have some contact info on these guys? We will be heading there in December for my 50th B-day and I would love to get a couple of landings in Hawaii to add to my airport landing list. :D :D

Scott,
That'd put you one up on Rosie (the one state his RV hasn't been to!)... :D

44 States Right Now

Scott,
That'd put you one up on Rosie (the one state his RV hasn't been to!)... :D

Ahhh... You've uncovered my evil plan. :p I'm working my way there. I still have 4 states left to get back in the northeast. I may get those this fall, as I have a work project scheduled for October in western PA. Be nice to get those and Hawaii in December. Then we'll be tie at 49...

Still looking for any contact info, especially for Colby Jones, who owns a really nice looking 9A. :cool:

Long Flight

Scott, I am calling you on that one. You have to land YOUR plane in the state.

Well Ron, I thought about that... but, 339A is just not set up for it. How does one plan for a minimum fuel arrival to Hawaii? :confused: How much fuel would it take? KSBA to PHNL is 2152 NM. Assuming 150 kts GS that's roughly 14.5 hrs of flight time @ 8 gal/hr = 116 gals no reserve. You'd need a pretty comfortable reserve say 3 hours. So add another 24 gallons now we're at 140. That's 840 lbs of fuel. :eek: :eek:

This might exceed max gross limits for the airframe. Now if someone wants to fund a water crossing, I'd be happy to fly it. :D

Well Ron, I thought about that... but, 339A is just not set up for it. How does one plan for a minimum fuel arrival to Hawaii? :confused: How much fuel would it take? KSBA to PHNL is 2152 NM. Assuming 150 kts GS that's roughly 14.5 hrs of flight time @ 8 gal/hr = 116 gals no reserve. You'd need a pretty comfortable reserve say 3 hours. So add another 24 gallons now we're at 140. That's 840 lbs of fuel. :eek: :eek:

This might exceed max gross limits for the airframe. Now if someone wants to fund a water crossing, I'd be happy to fly it. :D

Scott,
You might need even more than that with prevailing winds working against you. Prevailing flow is west to east when you're north of the equator.

I'm going there Saturday, Scott...

You could go with us and see how it looks, before you fly it:p

Our 737 will only have about 6500 gal on board for the 5+30 flight. Plan on a lot of instrument time, at least on the climbs and descents. Check out the first few photos in my Hawaii album: http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerfamilyenator/Hawaii#

I'll see if I can get Colby's contact info for you.

Hi Scott,
I can dig up a phone # on my old phone of someone in Oahu. I was never able to schedule the time with him but you may have more luck.
He's based out of Dillingham field on the north coast. He also has a glider he flies out of there. There's also a couple of other guys who fly a RV8 out in the early morning a couple times a week.

hawaii

Gee Ya'll, I didnt mean to start something here----adding long range tanks and stuff. Sounds alittle risky to me, but what do I know!!! BUT---would be great PR for the NAVY--lets see ---about 600 feet for takeoff with full fuel------NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Tom

Hawaii Contacts

Hi Gary,

Sounds like fun! What time are you leaving? Any jump seats? Just Kidding. I would appreciate any contact info you can gather. We will be staying on Kauai, but I'll do whatever I need to get a flight. After all I'm on vacation. :)

Nice pics BTW. Been to Oahu once, it was for work so I never got to see a whole lot, but the inside of the oil refinery.

Thanks a Bunch,

Scott

You could go with us and see how it looks, before you fly it:p

Our 737 will only have about 6500 gal on board for the 5+30 flight. Plan on a lot of instrument time, at least on the climbs and descents. Check out the first few photos in my Hawaii album: http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerfamilyenator/Hawaii#

I'll see if I can get Colby's contact info for you.

Hi Dan,

Any contact info you have, I will give it a try. Still have a few months to get something set up. Don't have any work projects lined up for Florida this fall. :(
We'll be there at the end of May next year to visit the mouse and an RV trip. We will be stopping at BKV, as always, for a few days. See you then.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Hi Scott,
I can dig up a phone # on my old phone of someone in Oahu. I was never able to schedule the time with him but you may have more luck.
He's based out of Dillingham field on the north coast. He also has a glider he flies out of there. There's also a couple of other guys who fly a RV8 out in the early morning a couple times a week.

Back