What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Counter Weights

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good morning VAF, I am working on my elevator skeletons and have reached the point where I need to dimple the counter weight skins. I was wondering if anyone knows what size dimple to use (it is for a AN509-10R24 screw)? I have a dimple for a #6 srew and that isn't quite enough.
Thanks,
Brandon

My tool set did not come with a specific dimple die for the size you're talking about. I countersunk the lead, inserted it into the skins, pushed the screws through the holes, and used the rivet gun on the head of the screw to "gently" dimple the skin using the head of the screw. This is the same basic principle as using a tight fit dimple fixture.

Dimple die size

The screw is a #10. AN509-10R24 Most tool kits don't include this size because it is used so seldom. The "C/S lead and use the screw itself to make the dimple" works well just be sure you don't cover C/S the lead first. Try to C/S just a little more (deeper) than fits the screw head (for the skin thickness). You will be close enough.

Dave

Back