What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BSPQ-5-4 Pop Rivet

Andrew Sego

I was joining E-703 to E-704 on the elevators and enlarged a hole while drilling out a number 4 rivet. I enlarged with a 19 bit and placed a BSPQ-5-4 pop rivet. The pop rivet's entire shaft pulled through and I'm left with a really funky looking hollow metal tube on the shop side. The other pop rivets I've used did not work like this. Is this normal for this rivet type? Time to just order new parts?

Thanks!

Bolt it?

Any chance you could get a bolt in place of the rivet? A really short AN3 or AN4 should work.

I was joining E-703 to E-704 on the elevators and enlarged a hole while drilling out a number 4 rivet. I enlarged with a 19 bit and placed a BSPQ-5-4 pop rivet. The pop rivet's entire shaft pulled through and I'm left with a really funky looking hollow metal tube on the shop side. The other pop rivets I've used did not work like this. Is this normal for this rivet type? Time to just order new parts?

Thanks!
Can't answer your question directly, but is a BSPQ rivet the appropriate rivet to use here? Not doubting it, because I don't know exactly what its qualities are--I've just never heard of it being used in lieu of a solid rivet here. When Van's calls for BSPQ rivets they are for very particular situations. Oversize cherrymax rivets are, I think, the general consensus on what should be used if a pulled rivet is necessary, especially on an oversized #30 hole. The other option if you don't have the edge distrance for an AN3 bolt might be a #8 screw with a washer and locknut, but I'd check with Van's.

Looking at other threads on the subject is what led me to try to pop rivet. A short bolt would work fine, I think, but I just hate to mangle the hole any more than I already have by drilling out the pop rivet.

Looking at other threads on the subject is what led me to try to pop rivet. A short bolt would work fine, I think, but I just hate to mangle the hole any more than I already have by drilling out the pop rivet.

Try drilling out future rivets with a drill bit smaller than a #30 (or #40, depending on the hole). This will give you some margin for wondering drill bits. Check the tips section (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8481) for some good advice.

Back