What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to line up the canopy frame overhang in section 39iS/U-04

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thought I'm having while I ensure the WD-1219 frame edge overlaps the side of the fuselage correctly? I read ahead to page U-10 where the guide plates are installed and it seems to me I can install them now and they will aid in ensuring the proper overlap (I clamped them in place and it did seem to push the canopy frame out to the correct overlap).

Has anyone else changed the sequence of construction here? Any gotchas I'm not seeing if I go down this path?

Any suggestions welcome.

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thought I'm having while I ensure the WD-1219 frame edge overlaps the side of the fuselage correctly? I read ahead to page U-10 where the guide plates are installed and it seems to me I can install them now and they will aid in ensuring the proper overlap (I clamped them in place and it did seem to push the canopy frame out to the correct overlap).

Has anyone else changed the sequence of construction here? Any gotchas I'm not seeing if I go down this path?

Any suggestions welcome.

The reason they are not installed earlier, is that you don't want the guide plates to pull the frame into proper alignment every time it closes.
It is best to adjust the frame width slightly so that the guides naturally slide into the slots when the canopy is closed.
The guides are for maintaining the width of the canopy in flight, not forcing it into shape while being closed.

I Cleco?d mine in place until I painted the frame, then riveted it in place. It caused me no problems and, just as you?re surmising, I think it helped keep it in alignment.

Back