What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Rail Support

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
The roll bar support arm, a part of the canopy rail on the completed Mk 1 fuselage is easily bent. There is a tendency for pilot and/or passenger to put their weight on this piece when exiting the airplane. On the latest fuselage for the iS/U the factory has addressed this issue by adding a supporting gusset.
Shown in Figure 6.
i-RRSQVsG-L.jpg

This can be retro-fitted to our older fuselage, although it is not offered by the factory as a retro-fit kit. The F-1254A part is available for about $5. The plan shows the top row of rivets to be AN470AD3 solids but that is not possible after the ship is built, so I just used all LP4-3.
i-xG3V3zq-L.jpg

This is a worthwhile upgrade for the older fuselages with little cost or time involved.

IMHO, this gusset is a real enhancement -- a number of us installed our own versions of this gusset over the past years in response to bent rails. I suggest that if you build your own version you extend the gusset further aft for more support. You can leave just enough room to remove/replace the plastic canopy index block. Alternatively for maximum support you can extend the gusset all the way aft and hope that the block never needs to be replaced (or if the block does need to be replaced, drill out some pulled-rivets). In addition I drilled a 1" hole in the left-side gusset to access my canopy lock innards.

ps -- Great photos and description by Tony -- as usual.

Two questions

1. Since you can't use AN470AD3-3 rivets in a retrofit, what about CS4-4 blind rivets so that there's less protrusion than LP4-3?
2. Would this affect whether the A/C was built "according to plans"?

Thanks Tony. I just added that to my list of upgrades at annual time.

I was in Seattle last September briefly but didnt have time to get in touch.

1. Since you can't use AN470AD3-3 rivets in a retrofit, what about CS4-4 blind rivets so that there's less protrusion than LP4-3?
2. Would this affect whether the A/C was built "according to plans"?

For certification as an E-LSA, you are required to build the airplane exactly per the plans and on the 8130-15 Form, you sign certifying that you have done that.
The only way you can technically deviate is with written consent from the manufacturer.

If you don't get written consent, you then are gambling on how familiar the inspector is with the RV-12, and whether they will notice.

For certification as an E-LSA, you are required to build the airplane exactly per the plans and on the 8130-15 Form, you sign certifying that you have done that.
The only way you can technically deviate is with written consent from the manufacturer.

If you don't get written consent, you then are gambling on how familiar the inspector is with the RV-12, and whether they will notice.

Thank you Scott. Other builders might be interested in this, so I'll ask: Do you think it likely that Van's, if asked, will provide written consent to add F-01254A gussets, even though they're not in the plans?

Thank you Scott. Other builders might be interested in this, so I'll ask: Do you think it likely that Van's, if asked, will provide written consent to add F-01254A gussets, even though they're not in the plans?

I think so, but you would have to contact tech. support and request permission to install them using LP4-3's in all holes. I am pretty sure the 3/32nd solid rivets were used because the flange is short and normal minimum edge distance is probably not met if 1/8 rivets are used, but I don't think that would be an issue in this location.

The best plan for anyone that hasn't built beyond that point yet, would be to install them per the 12iS KAI.

Back