What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Normal" Cowl Options with 200 hp RV-4?

Lt Dan

Well Known Member
Hi folks! I'm thinking of making an offer on an RV-4 out there for sale with a 200 hp engine but the problem is I just can't bear to look at it! It has the engine off a Mooney but unfortunately the builder brought the Mooney cowl with it! The thing is just fugly. I'd imagine it's a Lycoming I0-360-A3B6D and I'd imagine he did that because a normal (good looking / standard) -4 cowl wouldn't fit over that engine. I've never built before so I don't know exactly what my options are or where to even look to find out. But does anyone know if I could get a standard RV-4 cowl to fit over that engine? If not, could I find a closer to standard looking cowl for it that's maybe just a bit larger and make that work? If so, where?

Thanks!!
Dan

There are several RV-4s with Lycoming O360s/200 hp that run standard cowls. Angle valve engines are tight, and some tweaks are needed, but I believe the Mooney nose -4 has other issues too. I took a look at the registration on FAA site, and it's listed with a Continental..also, appears to have single exhaust stack , ext. May be a complete Mooney FWF I don't know. Fwd side skins look to have adapter fairing skins and a few other changes.

Back