What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rain-X OK for canopy?

daddyman

Well Known Member
All,
I seem to remember that the original rain-x was developed FOR the plexiglass airplane use.
It does contain denatured alcohol.
Is that damaging or cause the structure to weakens?
Daddyman

Rain-X makes a special version for plastic. I wouldn't trust the original formula on plexi.

I've used the regular version for years on my C-180 windshield (after first using polish) and it's been fine.

Dave

Please let may rephrase DaddyMan's question:

Does anyone use RainEx on RV canopies? Does it work? Any ill effects? Or is there a reason not to?

I've been wondering the same thing. :D

It's funny that people come here for advice over manufacturer recommendations....but here you go from https://rainx.com/tips-information/faqs/:

Is Rain‑X® Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?

No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

So.......
https://rainx.com/product/plastic-water-repellent/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent/ :rolleyes:

It worked great on the Boeing 707....:)l
But it was called rain clear, probably a different product.

Last edited:
It worked great on the Boeing 707....:)l
But it was called rain clear, probably a different product.

It should, they're glass....

"Does anybody know how thick the cockpit windows/windscreens are on various airliners and also what material are they made out of because they are obviously not any ordinary window material?"

"MD11Engineer From Philippines, joined Oct 2003, 14470 posts, RR: 62
Reply 2, posted Wed Jun 30 2004 21:09:47 your local time (10 years 10 months 3 weeks 9 hours ago) and read 7941 times:

Usually they are made of different layers of mineral glass and clear plastics laminated together. They are about two inches thick and very heavy. Normally the surface layers are made of mineral glass for scratch resistance with inner layers of acrylic and mineral glass. Just under the outboard layer is usually a very thin conductive metal layer (evaporated on in a vacuum) for windscreen anti ice. Compare the windscreens to bulletproof glass, very similar."

I know this has been kicked around forever with some swearing by Pledge and others poo pooing it but I got tired of Plexus smudges that never seem to go away and tried Brillianize from an acrylic store. Works terrific! Easy to buff out and leaves a fantastic surface that repels water certainly as well as RainX and makes my canopy look great.
Just sayin'.....

http://www.skygeek.com/brillianize-...aign=froogle&gclid=CIK9l6i4xsUCFQiDfgodVi4AZg

Last edited:
All of the Learjet aircraft have "Plastic" windows except for the Model 45, which has a plastic window with a true glass outer ply. We use a similar product as Rain-X, but only on steroids in comparision. The price for the product is on steroids also.

RejeX acrylic polish works pretty good on plexiglas for water drop rejection and is approved for use on plexiglas aircraft windshields and canopies.
Makes polyurethane paints like AcryGlo really shine too.

Water Repellant

All,
I seem to remember that the original rain-x was developed FOR the plexiglass airplane use.
It does contain denatured alcohol.
Is that damaging or cause the structure to weakens?
Daddyman

I can't answer your original question, but I do wonder why water repellant would be needed on a single engine aircraft. My experience has been that when rain is encountered in flight, the prop wash atomizes the water into such fine droplets that the rain really doesn't seem to create any visibility issues.

Skylor
RV-8

Plexus works just fine.

I am sure it is similar to Pledge and others, it just goes on and off so much easier, for the extra bucks it is worth it I think.

You use so little after all.

Back