What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Build Your Own Tug

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
The RV-10 turned out to be a little challenging to push back into the hanger by myself, especially when the ramp has snow and ice. The latest discussion about pushing by the propeller on a CS prop convince me I needed to come up with a tug fast and I did not like the idea of using an electric winch. I found a snow blower at Lowe's.com that would work. 208 cc electric start engine with 4 forward and 2 reverse speeds. It was on sale for only $499.00 with free shipping to the store. 4 bolts removed the auger assembly as a unit and I had some scrap steel from other projects to fabricate the arms and pins. It is built wide enough to allow use with or without wheel fairings. The arms bolt onto the frame with 5/16" bolts. The forward bolts are threaded into a 1" round aluminum rod that fits between the frame sides and provides rigidity to the arms. I had some scrap sheet aluminum that I cut, fit, bent, and painted to finish off the drive belt guard exposed since the auger assembly was removed. I already tested it on snow and it works great getting the RV-10 up the grade and over the concrete 1" lips.
The pics make it look tight but there is plenty of clearance for the wheel pairing.
DSC00383.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00373.jpg

Last edited:
What was the model on Lowes or a link to it on the web site? . I was looking and could not locate that one.

Thks,
Jeff

What was the model on Lowes or a link to it on the web site? . I was looking and could not locate that one.

Thks,
Jeff

Model DB7659-22". Its Lowe's branded name is "Powersmart". I just purchased it less than 2 weeks ago and looked on Lowes.com and its no longer there. Could be they are all gone or just out of stock. Sears also carries it with the Craftsman badge. Our local Walmart had a couple in stock when I was looking but about $150 more. I chose this one because it had a larger motor and the spring loaded single lift up handle to engage the drive. I may end up installing some studs on the tires or chains to help on snow/ice.
00M0M_cmvfjo1bRBb_600x450.jpg

Well Done!

Wow, what a clean looking result. Very clever thinking. Well done!

In the 4th picture it looks like you're missing the dipstick from its hole in the left front corner of the crankcase. Hope this is just an optical illusion otherwise a nasty surprise might be in store.

Mark, you're hired!

....I want this guy doing my inspections ! :)

but seriously, you should trade the blower part for a sweeper attachment for the summer! ( also handles up to 1" or 2 of dry snow)

nice homebuilding to be sure.....and it's not being lazy, it's saving your back, and anything else that gets injured when you slip & fall on ice trying to get traction! Do NOT end your winter flying this way folks!

In the 4th picture it looks like you're missing the dipstick from its hole in the left front corner of the crankcase. Hope this is just an optical illusion otherwise a nasty surprise might be in store.

Good eye! The motor actually has tow bungs cast in for an oil filler,,,probably for different applications. The one you see has not been machined open. The one machined has a filler tube and a nice cap and dipstick for filling/adding from the top of the engine.

Very clean!

David,
Great idea using the snow blower drive unit.
A very clean and professional job.

I opted for an electrical unit not as simple and straight forward as yours but it does the job very well. My design required a couple of changes before I got it right and it shows.
I do get to use my old aircraft batteries though and the whole thing cost just around 300 dollars.

IMG_0143.JPG

We do not have snow here !

We do not have snow here - so we cannot buy a snow thrower :confused:

Ernst - what did you start off with - electric scooter??

Scooter bike wheel and matching sprockets and chain.
Relay forward and reverse and the tarp motor.
The frame is 1" square tubing.
Spring and cable actuated fork to attach nose wheel in a standing position.
Some have used windshield wiper motors that have a similar angle drive system but those are less powerful and seem to cost at least as much as these tarp motors or even more.
The batteries are 18 AH Lead acid removed from my RV 8 after 5 years of service and now 10 years since new still going strong .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TARP-MOTOR-APACHE-SLIM-TARPING-SYSTEMS-FLIP-TARP-/141071526216

I couldn't find the blower in the local stores - we don't get much snow. Most of the online ones are too spendy or unavailable. So I found the same blower as the OP via Craigslist. Works great and I was able to pick it up for $250. So I will be performing some surgery on it since the plane is in the paint shop. Thanks for the great tip!

no sweepers?

We do not have snow here - so we cannot buy a snow thrower :confused:

Ernst - what did you start off with - electric scooter??

Jan, surely someone sells a small walk-behind powered sidewalk sweeper?
....or how about one of those 2-wheel Troybilt type brush mowers or a garden roto-tiller?
...hmmmm, definintely a regional/hemisphere thing to cope with eh? :)

Thanks again for the idea. I was able to find an identical model on Craigslist for only $250. It was used for one season. A little iron square tube and rod, a trip to the local brake shop for some welding, black spray paint and some handles from the local hardware store and voila.

20140126_195508044_iOS_zpsb9aa2fb3.jpg

20140126_195533864_iOS_zps2638f332.jpg

A friend at work made this. Works really well, but probably a little tougher to build than some of the others.

92d0186fae7c1d9ac7ed9c1285b8e7b6_zpsb3f84a3b.jpg

077144e55b3242239a1df6659e0e1593_zps036c0c66.jpg

Thanks again for the idea. I was able to find an identical model on Craigslist for only $250. It was used for one season. A little iron square tube and rod, a trip to the local brake shop for some welding, black spray paint and some handles from the local hardware store and voila.

20140126_195508044_iOS_zpsb9aa2fb3.jpg

20140126_195533864_iOS_zps2638f332.jpg

Good job Mark,,,,and at 1/2 what mine cost me!;)

There was a commercially available towbarless unit similar to what Jesse displayed there on display at Sun -n- Fun. It was very small and slid under the front wheel and operated by remote control. I believe it had a track system like a tank for positive movement. Not sure the price but it was very cool.

Holy rusty and dusty threads, Batman.

Craig,

It is a company called AC Air Technology in California. I have been following their products for 3 years and finally ordered one at OSH 2017. They are a bit pricey but after spending an hour talking to the company owner Anthony and delving into the details I could see the value based on comprehensive engineering and first rate workmanship, materials, electronics and materials all combined into a quality and robust product.

I could resist no longer and sprung for one of my own at their display tent. There is no denying that the energy and rarefied air of OSH was a contributing factor. Anthony and his daughter Jennifer were extremely nice and accommodating and have provided super responsive customer service. This isn't their only gig. Anthony is an engineer and successful entrepreneur and a multiple aicraft owner including experimental sport aircraft, warbirds and turbine helicopters. Even a Baby Lakes biplane. He designed the first AC TrackTech after becoming weary of ground maneuvering his Mooney in and out of its hangar and he couldn't find an existing product on the market that met his needs. So AC Air has the backing of Anthony's larger manufacturing enterprises and business savvy. That history and their customer support combined with talking to existing customers gave me the confidence I was buying the tug from a solid professional company. Usually things like this come down to the people involved as much as anything else and these are the type of folks I like hanging out with at airports and fly-ins. They could easily be assimilated into the T-Hangar Mafia.

When I got home from OSH I decided I wanted to change some details on my TrackTech order so I emailed Jennifer. Even though her and Anthony were on the road traveling home from OSH at the time they both emailed me back within an hour. They had already contacted the factory back in CA and cheerfully sent me verification of the order change. All before they got back to the office.

Mine should be delivered in a few weeks. I move a mix of tailwheel and nose draggers of varying sizes and weights in both in T-Hangars and within a maintenance shop so I chose the next size larger than the base model with provisions for Diamonds and Cirrus's. This could be a real time and hangar rash saver. In my estimation the less time spent with a Cirrus owner the better.

I realize this post might come across as an advertisement but I am just one of their many customers buying their product at the same price as any other customer. I feel I did appropriate due diligence prior to purchasing. That being said I will update this thread after delivery and use of my TrackTech. I can be just as critical as complimentary of the performance of products I buy and have low tolerance for regrets. Hence my penchant for homework prior to any sizeable purchase.

https://www.acairtechnology.com/home.aspx

Jim

Last edited:
So it's totally not RV related, but I have had some experience with the Tug mentioned by Craig. Friend of mine (friend of a friend) has one for his TBM. Got a chance to use the thing to move the TBM out of the hanger and this is a very well designed and powered device. It seems like an expensive toy, but it's honestly easy to handle and allows you to move around to make sure you DON'T bang into anything since it's totally remote controlled.

If you can swing it, it seems like a very useful device!

Wow - you guys have just done me a HUGE favor!

My wife thinks my recent purchase of a Kubota 4wd hydrostatic transmission tractor is a bit of overkill for moving our airplane. Now I get to show her what a great bargain it is!

(I should mention this tractor will also be used for snow blowing duty in the winter and grass mowing duty in the summer. Plus it likely will haul one or two poor souls out of the ditch after they have discovered how slippery the first snowfall of the season can be. This makes my little Kubota a Swiss Army Knife kind of airplane tug! LoL)

Last edited:
Back