What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder Coated Parts; Paint or No Paint?

jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Hey all!

I am not too far away from painting the interior of my QB -8 fuselage, and I am wondering what others have done with respect to powder coated parts, such as the steel brackets at the base of the gear towers or the canopy roll bar.

I am tempted to cover them up before painting, along with the center section as well, as these parts look great already. What say you all??

Really depends on the color you want. If you do panit them, you need to sand them aggressively if you want the paint to stick. The powder coat is very tough. Use a light to ensure that entire paint surface is dull with no shine anywhere.

Larry

Powder coat

Most would recommend keeping critical parts like gear towers Vans gray (white) so cracks can be easily spotted. I ordered all my canopy parts bare and had them powder coated to match my interior color choices. It was done for weight savings.

Some parts I left white, but I wanted the windscreen brace and canopy frame to be flat black. I had the white blasted off and new flat black powdercoat applied. I've been told that it's the best way; even roughed up, paint doesn't like to stick to powdercoat. When I painted my cockpit rails flat black, I left most of the mid-cockpit brace white but left the masking off the bottom of the base legs, prepped the powdercoating and sprayed them with the cockpit rails to make a decent transition. I'll have to see how that holds out.
Q3jdyPNfRyEdANbvYyr-IPVAgFqHC2UQNd_JfI3hgNfa8CsTFP-8OYDj8kgZaW_8zpBm6ucpzVkolSo4LP10V2mX9CY87dDo68ofHfQCx0tNX_kNJb5KSfdbCA8zQ3JX4u6BOk-_FF6hiaeVV5PXeDQ6mpliN-ESoBMEFXtZQOdknCAK_ScnOnNFsqplCTwJLxbqoe1ZENwnl1gy_6C9b6_HaiQk6uEYUVgOdp9K5Le4G2sTwi_rlLRu0EH5sMQGlaJFxDHP2icqO1Fg_-4q1Gr3wrR7_00yd5GSG3o1_Rhk9URiqgOO7PZJRywAgLsjQ9VPTdZYnMv84ldYhIXomkaiIQ7-ZAhy00QD5M7NJ7OnVuCzo4Fxaz4KMtX_-QDTt1qvV2yU76rB0rlr8FjVjHBs5dwP5smSCRjs00enHYNhIbPxjK41OBtNBovWZLX0AymukqKOg3e8BdqLbSGyw1sHgQSLIK4l8oq4ppUoueQDSI5icXVLPO1ZgNBu4RHdcnQr5Skz-W_iVd9E8eY8G9RxmaxMAFAq8rrRdzBGTEw2_7id9r15AKvDdklZdMbxFH2AmqNYxd7KocfsqQHMEafPe0smOuwvMwv4nQPgxEQAL0yIAERLYpbg4BLfF6znUF7m9xx485z5x5vfmCUrVtL1ue9p3ls=w1296-h864-no

Back