What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Bow to Roll Bar

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
I have almost got the canopy cut down to meet the slider bow and Roll Bar but i'm a little concerned that the slider bow is sitting in further then the roll bar at the sides leaving the plexi sitting out off the canopy bow, it touches at the bottom but get worse as it goes up.. I've tried bending it but it throws out other areas..would shims be a solution? Any suggestions would very appreciated.

Many thanks
Gibbo

You'll almost certainly have to shim the screen on the rollbar to match the fit of the rear bubble on the frame.

If you choose to bond the screen/screen and bubble on using Sikaflex, this helps a lot.

Have you made the big cut yet? We found it much easier to deal with the two bits independently.

Hi Ed, many thanks for your reply, I have attached a
Photo as I'm not real good at explaining but as you can see at the bottom where the bow meets the roll bar it's spot on but for the next 6" to 7" up from that point the bow is sitting in futher then the roll bar leaving the plexi sitting off it about 3/8. I've tried bending it out but with little luck.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vqnWnKjQTAobPbWJA

build on

Not sure if you have had a chance to look at very many completed RV8s, this is no problem at all. The fairing on the roll bar will cover this up, and if you use sikaflex to glue the canopy, it will be the shim that makes it all look great and deal with any differences in the gap between the canopy and the frame.

Hi Mickey, I haven't unfortunately... Not a lot of 8's in Oz worst luck, Am I going to gain anything from trying to bend it out? I'm going down the rivet and screw road..

Many Thanks
Gibbo

Like Mickey said, looking at the photos, it seems like you're well within the ballpark for making everything fit together.

Hi Mickey, I haven't unfortunately... Not a lot of 8's in Oz worst luck, Am I going to gain anything from trying to bend it out? I'm going down the rivet and screw road..

Many Thanks
Gibbo

Oh no, don't do that. Sika all the way.

Sika

Oh no, don't do that. Sika all the way.

That gap is easy to fix especially if you Sikaflex the canopy on. I've you have any questions let me know. Every aircraft listed below has a bonded canopy. It is the better way to go and the roll bar structure allows easy application of it.

Once you make the big cut there will always be a bit of misalignment between the canopy pieces due to the roll bar. The chances of bending this are slim. Its very stiff. From your pictures the alignment isn't bad. I use black fuel line hose cut into donut shaped shims to get the alignment perfect. Once the canopy is sanded, cleaned, primed and clamped in place apply the Sikaflex.

Thanks guy's, I'm leaning towards Danny Kings rubber grommets rather then the Sika as I would've Sika every where and not where it needs to be :D

Back