What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery Nutplates and Other Holes

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I'm nearing the end of the fuselage kit of my RV-14, and I've also been working on the finishing kit. I don't have the wings yet. I'm saving those for last. Along the way, I've run into a couple mysteries and I'm wondering if anyone knows the answers.

Mystery 1: On page 10-12 while building the tailcone, there are two K1000-08D nutplates installed on the top flange of the F-01406B bulkhead. The F-01406F baggage bulkhead corrugation covers this area up in section 42. In between those points, I haven't found where anything gets screwed into these nutplates.

Mystery 2: The left side of the flap motor cover (part F-01445B-L) has two openings along the aft edge. What is their purpose?

Mystery 1: On page 10-12 while building the tailcone, there are two K1000-08D nutplates installed on the top flange of the F-01406B bulkhead. The F-01406F baggage bulkhead corrugation covers this area up in section 42. In between those points, I haven't found where anything gets screwed into these nutplates.

Hmm .. got a pic?

Mystery 2: The left side of the flap motor cover (part F-01445B-L) has two openings along the aft edge. What is their purpose?

I used these holes to zip tie my wires ... not sure of their intended purpose :p

Hmm .. got a pic?

The two that are in focus, with their rivets half-painted. (Note that I added two nutplates to the battery angles for a different reason. I'm talking about the two that are actually called for in the plans, on the upper flange of that bulkhead.)

nutplates.jpg

I used these holes to zip tie my wires ... not sure of their intended purpose :p

I mean the two holes that are fully open, as shown here along the right (aft) edge of the foreground (left) panel of the flap channel cover.

flapchannel.jpg

I mean the two holes that are fully open, as shown here along the right (aft) edge of the foreground (left) panel of the flap channel cover.

Yep! For zip ties.

I consulted with my co-builder and we don't remember what those two nutplates are for on F-01406B ... I would say not used but that's a 14 specific part ... it's going to drive me crazy now lol

Last edited:
Yep! For zip ties.

I consulted with my co-builder and we don't remember what those two nutplates are for on F-01406B ... I would say not used but that's a 14 specific part ... it's going to drive me crazy now lol
I?m still lost as to how you used those holes for zip ties. So at least we both get to go a little crazy.

I’m still lost as to how you used those holes for zip ties. So at least we both get to go a little crazy.

Those half moon holes "allow" the zip ties to be used by providing a pathway. The actual zip ties are in the holes in the aft part.

As I recall, those two nut plats are not used in a 14. This part of the kit is shared with RV10.

As I recall, those two nut plats are not used in a 14. This part of the kit is shared with RV10.

That's true of the battery angles, which are RV-10 parts: F-1037B and F-1037C. The nutplates go on in page 10-11, figure 3. There is a specific note about this in bold on page 10-11 (revision 1). Note that I did put nutplates in those spots for a possible mounting location for my smoke oil pump. Those are not the ones I'm asking about.

The mystery nutplates are on the RV-14-specific part, F-01406B. They are shown in page 10-12 figure 3 and they are part of the count of 9X K1000-08D to be installed.

Those half moon holes "allow" the zip ties to be used by providing a pathway. The actual zip ties are in the holes in the aft part.
If you get bored and want to share a picture, I'd like that. I'm still not tracking, even after my Monday morning pot of coffee. :confused:

Mine is all buttoned up but look at part F-01405G on page 32-07. See those holes that are in between some nutplates? The half moon holes on F-01445B-L go over those.

In my airplane, I use those for zip ties that secure the flap motor wiring harness.

I really don't know what they were intended for but since nothing else was there I used them.

Hmmm

I went through my build photos and believe:

Mystery 1 - Nothing is attached to those nutplates.

Mystery 2 - Those ?openings? allow the cover to fit over screw heads. Those screws are used for adel clamps to secure the flap motor wiring harness.

Thanks. I get it now. The plans don't seem to show adel clamps but they make sense. And whether it's an adel clamp or a ziptie, having a cut-out to clear them makes sense. I was picturing zipties in the holes in the web of the flap motor channel's aft side (the permanently-riveted-in one), which now that I look at it again wouldn't work without drilling extra holes.

The F-01406B mystery will remain a mystery unless someone else knows why those nutplates are called for. At least I won't feel like the only builder who doesn't know what they're for. :)

The F-01406B mystery will remain a mystery unless someone else knows why those nutplates are called for. At least I won't feel like the only builder who doesn't know what they're for. :)

I do recall asking for the same thing and was told they are not used. Of course when one gets to my age, the memory will be as good as milk left outside of fridge :(
BTW, I have mounted my remote TXPDR and Radio on top of that battery angle.

Replacement of bellcrank mount

Actually, I have substituted the original bellcrank mount (F14139) which bolts on the battery angles with the one installed on the RV-10 (F1035 + F1036) which I will use for a secondary battery rack. It bolts right on. No mods except that the holes left without nutplates do require to be installed then.

I've ordered the following parts from Van's
BATTERY/B.CRANK MOUNT F-1035, $25.00
BATTERY CHANNELS F-1036, $9.10

27zyvc8.jpg

258qdd3.jpg

And these are the pages I have modified into my assembly manual. They come from the RV-10 manual.

263cund.jpg

2itgftl.jpg

261dkq1.jpg

Before ordering, I have done some CG calculations to see the effect of installing a 2nd battery behind the luggage compartment bulkhead. The effect is negligible especially if you install a lithium battery.

Aha! The mystery is solved! It looks like Van?s used the same lower baggage bulkhead center piece, or a very similar design, between the 10 and 14 and forgot to tell 14 builders that the nut plates in the upper flange of F-01406B are also a vestigial RV-10 thing that we can skip, as we do with the forward holes in the F-1037 battery angles. I can finally sleep!

Back