What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What reducer to use?

crabandy

Well Known Member
I have this fitting on my accessory case to supply oil to the oil cooler.
5E62834B-7AD3-44F5-B611-A327AAF524E3-9091-0000055AA32BCC24.jpg

I need a reducer so I can fit AN822-8D fitting in the 5/8 hole. AN 912 doesnT come in 5/8. Ideas?

All the fittings I've seen in accessory cases for oil lines are 3/8" pipe thread :confused:

Last edited:
Looks like

you have an AN-8 to an AN-6 reducing union in your photo. It's a tube to tube connection. If the hole in your case is about 5/8" diameter, it is probably a 3/8" pipe thread. Pipe treads are called out based on the nominal ID of the pipe on which the thread would be used. I think you want an AN816-6-6 fitting (Check out this link: http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/hapages/an816.php . 45 degree fittings are also available to clear the motor mount on the accessory case outlet hole. Install before mounting your engine! I would use steel to prevent galling of the aluminum thread$$ in your accessory case. This fitting is for 3/8" hose fitting and a 3/8" pipe thread. If you're using a cooler with fittings for 1/2" hose (use steel here too), you want AN816-8 fittings in your accessory case.

Doing this from memory without my plane within reach. YMMV

My O-360's first life was in an enstrom helicopter, HO-360XXX with the single "dual" bendix mag. The current fitting pictured above is AN815-10D, With a 5/8 thread. I haven't found a fitting with 5/8 thread to 8 flare and a 90. I tried a AN912 but I have only found 3/4 and 1/2 to 3/8 flare. Last option would be to see if a 90 on my hose would fit.

More info needed

My O-360's first life was in an Enstrom helicopter, HO-360XXX with the single "dual" bendix mag. The current fitting pictured above is AN815-10D, With a 5/8 thread. I haven't found a fitting with 5/8 thread to 8 flare and a 90. I tried a AN912 but I have only found 3/4 and 1/2 to 3/8 flare. Last option would be to see if a 90 on my hose would fit.

Andy,
Like Terry, it appears to me that the fitting in the photo you show is a reducer. [straight thread for hose to hose connection] Was this fitting screwed into your accessory case? If so, which end was fitted? What size is the other end?
As Walt mentioned, the accessory cases I've seen are all pipe thread [tapered thread] That does not mean that Enstrom [or a previous mechanic or owner] did not convert your cover to use the current fitting.
Please obtain a thread pitch gauge, to verify the pitch and type of threads in your accessory case. See

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Thread_pitch_gauge

The fitting above "can" be used, providing the case has been tapped for a straight thread. In that instance, an appropriate O-ring must be placed it the non-threaded crook between the threads and the hex section to accomplish a seal. More info needed to give informed advice.
Charlie

"The fitting above "can" be used, providing the case has been tapped for a straight thread. In that instance, an appropriate O-ring must be placed it the non-threaded crook between the threads and the hex section to accomplish a seal. More info needed to give informed advice."

Charlie, you are correct! The union fitting does have the O-ring and must be straight threads tapped into my accessory case. Are there any reducers/adapters (straight thread with O-ring - 3/8 NPT) for this?

A vertiable dirth of information

"The fitting above "can" be used, providing the case has been tapped for a straight thread. In that instance, an appropriate O-ring must be placed it the non-threaded crook between the threads and the hex section to accomplish a seal. More info needed to give informed advice."

Charlie, you are correct! The union fitting does have the O-ring and must be straight threads tapped into my accessory case. Are there any reducers/adapters (straight thread with O-ring - 3/8 NPT) for this?

Yes, there are. However, you still have not answered my question. What size/thread has the accessory case been tapped for? Until you answer that, I can not help you.
Charlie

Sorry, just got home from work. Battery is out on the caliper, best I can measure the threads on the fitting are 27/32. The thread guage is 14 threads per inch.
Thanks, Andy

Ah, that is the fitting I currently (not in purple, my daughter would like it)have but I need a 90. I'll check out jegs!
Thanks!

Think I found it, not in purple but oh well...AN 8 male flare to AN 10 o-ring port boss adapter 90. Kind of hard to google it when you don't know what it's called. I really appreciate the patience and ideas!
Thanks Andy

Think I finally found it, for $32.95!! 90 degree AN8 to male 7/8-14 straight o-ring boss fitting.

ear-949081erl_w_m.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo. Is the hex section threaded onto the straight threaded section? Or is it fixed. Do you have a part number or a web link for this item?
Charlie

Andy-----in industrial number you are looking for a 6801-10-08 NWO. The hex nut locks the fitting into place after you index it in the direction you want.
Thats a -10 straight boss, to a -8 flare 90*. Use a steel one. MUCH less expensive and stronger than an aluminum one.
Tom

Andy,
I'll second Tom's advice to only use steel fittings on the engine. First, aluminum fittings into an aluminum engine promotes galling of the fittings. Most important is the added fatigue strength of steel fittings.
If an oil or fuel line fitting mounted to the engine breaks due to vibration or fatigue, it will ruin your whole day [not to mention your $$$ engine] This is not the place to try to save grams of weight.
Charlie

Here's what you need

You mentioned you wanted that same fitting only in 90deg version? That would be a Parker 8-10 C5OX-S. I have one in my IO-360 dual mag engine.

The dual-mag engines DO NOT have NPT oil ports. They are -10 O-ring straight thread. The 8-10 C5OX-S, is -10 on the engine side with adjustment nut and O-ring, and -8 flare on the other for your oil cooler lines. The straight fitting in the OP's blurry pic is also -10 on the engine side and -8 on the hose side.

Here's a vendor with one: http://www.livingstonandhavenstore....-male-jic-by-10-male-sae-90-degree-elbow.html
These are steel, by the way, as all fittings in the oil cooler system should be.

31942.JPG

Thanks!

Thanks guys, I looked online for hours and you guys found me the right fitting while I was eating dinner!
Tom, thanks again for the great hoses!

Back