What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Room for pilot? (a.k.a. Will I fit?)

ohiopilot

Well Known Member
I am looking at a -4 right now and want to see if I'll even fit before dragging a couple of RV buddies down for a look-see with me.

I'm 5'9" and ~240#. I'm slowly losing weight, but I want to fly now, of course. I'm not huge, but I'm not sure if this is a 160# person airplane max.

Just trying to get a feel if I'll be trying to pry the throttle out between my side and the airplane skin or not.

Thanks!

ME:
http://www.wrenfamily.org/multimedia/flying/2006-05-23/images/06052511_jpg.jpg

240 sounds like it won't be fun in the -4. It depends a bit on how you carry the weight but at 5'9 I suspect issues in stick travel or cabin width. When I've put big guys in my 4 they struggle getting in/out. And that was without a 'chute.

The 8 is probably a better match unless you are serious about weight loss.

chuck

hi Chuck,

I don't have a big gut or anything that would get in the way of stick (sts). I am just thicker, I guess.

While I am working on losing weight (applying to ANG), I am still very mobile and such. Sounds like I need to just get in one to try it out. I've sat it a Mooney with another male with no problems or sitting on his half of the plane. So, I don't think I'm extra wide.

-B

P.S. I can't afford an -8, otherwise, I would. That may be the one I build when I have the time, money and blessing from the CFO.

I know of several 240 pounders that have 4's and have no problem. I have a 4 and I am 5' 10 and 210 and have plenty of room. Your next question is who do you want to carry in the back seat. Probably not another 240 person. Having said all of that, I guess I should make some rather obvious statements. The 4 is not a side by side and by it's very nature has limited room for reading maps etc.

An 8 is probably a lot more roomier but a lot more pocket book too. Before disgarding the idea of a 4 I would at least sit in one. Everyone carries their weight a little differently and as you said you are loosing. It just might work out for you.

RV-4 fit

When I purchased my -4, I was 235 LBS and am 6? 1?. I had to fly it home W/O any seat cushions due to cockpit length; I only have a 32? inseam. When I got the -4 home I moved the seat back as far as I could, and the rudders FWD as far as I could also. It now fits like a glove. I had to reduce the stick height in the rear to clear the seat back though. I have flown back there once or twice and it is a little too tight now. I have dropped to 200 LBS now. The -4 fit in width & feel from day one has been great. I know the -8 is worth more, but wouldn?t trade and have several hours in one. I have flown most of the models and still like tossing the -4 around best. Yes opening & folding maps is a problem, but I do that prior to departure as I have done with most other A/C I have flown. I have done many 1,000 + mile flights and after 3 to 4 hours the seat gets hard, but no other problems. I live in Ohio at (2D7) Beach City, you are welcome to stop & check fit. 330-236-5041

Gary

I am the same hight and only 10 pounds lighter and I fit just fine. I do have to take the seat cushions out and put a thin bottom cushion in to accmodate a seat back parachute and my old Vetniam era helment does not work due to canopy slant but the new helment from Flight Suits Unlimited works just fine. Roger Moore [email protected]

And let's NOT forget how good you look in there :^)!
Rick in Ohio at the Buffalo Farm

Weehoo!!!

:D

I'm looking forward to Tuesday so I can sit in my hangar making airplane noises until I get my TW endorsement done...

Back seater in RV4

Hi Guys
When I started my RV4 in 2000 my son was 5' 6" and 100 lbs. Now 6 years later my son Ian is 6' 1" and 180 lbs. Will he fit in the back seat? My aircraft has a O320 and catto 3 blade. Will I be close to aft C.G. with Ian in there?

Dayton,

Once you learn how to fly your RV-4 then taking your son wont be a problem, I take 6' 200+lb passengers all the time with baggage. I am 6' and 225lb and have ridden in the back of my dads 032, wood prop -4 with no problems. The main thing is to start by taking a light passenger and building your skills as your passengers get heaver, the -4 is two different airplanes, one solo and one very different with passenger, it works great both ways, just different. Remember as you take that first passenger to put some down trim in for landing so you have some stick pressure to flair against.

fitting /5' 16"

I'm 5' 16 " 6-4 for the rest of you... and I'd love to get a -4.... any guys out there with suggestions? maybe a -4 tall guy version? I sat in a -4 and I know it could work if the dash was not so low on the sides. I'm looking at dropping a 0-320 in my yankee. but I cannot ignore the -4 either... maybe someone out there has done some tall person mod's to a -4... Thanks
brianpwallis at hotmail dot com.

I know of a -4 for sale built by a guy who is 6'3". He built the seat back a few inches and it seems to work for him.

PM me if you're interested in details.

Back