What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great idea for a VAF T-shirt?

scsmith

Well Known Member
On another thread, Geico266 said something that I think would make a great T-shirt for VAF:

"Life is too short to spend flying a Cessna"

Doug?

Steve,

Just a few facts about Cessna:

Cessna have produced 190,000 172's

Cessna became the first aircraft company in the world to produce more than 100,000 aircraft in 1972.

Clyde Cessna was the first man to build and then fly an aircraft between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountains in 1911.

I know Cessnas like a 152 or a 172 are pretty boring to fly, but more people have learned to fly in Cessnas than any other aircraft.

I suggest we should think before we knock such an icon of the aviation world.

Actually, there was Bleriot built in Denver and flying in Colorado in 1910.

The builder, in later life, got it part-way restored and had a Continental 65 to hang on it. He was planning to fly it again when he passed on.

I met his grandson who owned it, and got to see it in the late '80s. The area Antique Airplane Association chapter considered buying it for restoration and display, but couldn't get together the people, money and place to work on it, and decided not to. It was later sold to someone in the eastern part of the country.

David Paule

I've said it before...

Life is too short to fly ugly airplanes....you can also apply it to women, cars, etc:D

Best,

We all agree that we LOVE our RV airplanes.

To keep others from getting a WORSE opinion of us in the aviation community, we need to put a POSITIVE saying about all of aviation on our tee shirts else others put something on their tee shirts putting us down.

To keep others from getting a WORSE opinion of us in the aviation community, we need to put a POSITIVE saying about all of aviation on our tee shirts else others put something on their tee shirts putting us down.

Well said Gary. I totally agree with you.

How about something on the lines of:

Airplanes are Great​

but the
RV-xx
is
THE GREATEST

my design-

Condor is right on!
I've been playing with a design that goes along the lines of a Vans quote-
"The RV3 was the first- and It's been all down hill from there"
This I believe relates to pure flying qualities, This and the fact that I'm addicted to RV's and formation: a rough design-

http://www.customink.com/designs/rv...u/?cm_mmc=sdfu-_-day6b-_-content-_-rbuttontop

The recreational aviation community is small enough, the last thing we need to do is create internal friction by taking cheap shots. We need to stick together for important concerns like keeping airports open.

www.friendsofoceanoairport.com/in-the-news.html

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Hi John,

That thing is just a joke, I am PRO any kind of thing that fly.

I always said to people in Chile that we need just one organization to protect aviation and everyone should be include (glider, ultralight, helicopters, certify and experimental planes, of course UFO too!!!)

but anyway I still think that is a good joke

Jeeeesh!

Everyone is so sensitive!

Years ago I wore a tee shirt that said on the front:
"I fly a 1-26"
and on the back it said:
"because it feels so good when I stop".

lighten up everyone!

I just want a pin-up girl again...

....Does anyone have one of the serf and fly pinups! I have seen many people refer to them but some of us haven't a clue what it looked like. Would someone please post a photo so we can see what we missed. Thanks, Allan....:D

[ed. Thanks for inquiring, Allan. The 'surf girl' was a one off design. If you got one, keep it! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a guy at our field who goes around making negative comments about other people's airplanes. You can guess how popular he is...

I think I'll stick with my Vans 40th anniversary shirt I got from Joe Blank at Oshkosh. :)

I really like a couple of the VAF members' sigs ...

"Life begins at fifty knots"

and

"God does not deduct from one's time on earth that which is spent in the air."

....Does anyone have one of the serf and fly pinups! I have seen many people refer to them but some of us haven't a clue what it looked like...

From elsewhere on the site.

MountVesuvius.jpg

Some people were offended by the shirt.

Roy Lopresti

was often quoted in the Mooney community as saying "Life is short, fly fast". Maybe borrow that with a VAF symbol below for subtlety (sp?).:D

Last edited:
Pinup Girl

Good luck with another run of the pin-up girl shirts. My brother designed that shirt AND the VAF logo, too. I never even got one, after turning him onto the logo/shirt design contest many years ago- which he won.
:(

[If memory serves, I think Chad Jensen won the contest for the logo on the front of the shirt. Your bro won the back image, and again if memory serves, I paid him $200 to design/rights to the logo for this site. Please give my best to your brother for me!

PS: I think I have (1) in-the-bag, never worn pinup girl shirt in my office here, Gary. If you’ll remind me someday, it’s yours! How’s that for service! Br,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:

Talk about a fundraising opportunity.

1st run pink "surf and fly" shirts....$200....limited run, do the math. 25shirts is $5000 to the Reeves college fund

2nd run (new color) surf & fly" shirts $50

Last edited:
Good luck with another run of the pin-up girl shirts. My brother designed that shirt AND the VAF logo, too. I never even got one, after turning him onto the logo/shirt design contest many years ago- which he won.
:(

[If memory serves, I think Chad Jensen won the contest for the logo on the front of the shirt. Your bro won the back image, and again if memory serves, I paid him $200 to design/rights to the logo for this site. Please give my best to your brother for me!

PS: I think I have (1) in-the-bag, never worn pinup girl shirt in my office here, Gary. If you’ll remind me someday, it’s yours! How’s that for service! Br,dr]

Thanks for the kind offer Doug! :D But my point wasn't an angle to try and obtain one of the shirts now. I was trying to point out to the folks that were asking about them, that they sold out LIGHTNING FAST and were very popular with some, while others didn't like the color, surfer gal, etc. :D

You are absolutely correct: Chad did the logo on the front of the 'Surf & Fly' shirt, and my brother did the surfer lady layout/text on the back of the shirt. And yep, my brothers logo still resides as the official VAF logo (on the site, latest hats, etc.) Yes sir, you did indeed pay him!

Again, thanks for the offer (and I surely wasn't trying to imply I was slighted in any way). Heck, I could have bought one back when they were introduced but didn't... You need to keep that last one for nostalgia! :D
But thanks for the generous offer!

IDEA

I have an idea.... lets do another pinup style....

If your offended don't buy one. :eek:

I think you will sell out fast and its for charity right.

Google Al Moore's Pin-up images.

Absolutely correct, Stan. My brother is a graphic artist by trade, and before he could even submit his back t-shirt design in the contest, he had to purchase the rights to that image. Part of his winnings from the contest, ended up covering the fee he had to pay for usage rights :) Then he simply added the 'Surf & Fly' text, along with the Vans Airforce.Net text. :D

Last edited:
Back