What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Colorado Bound

robertahegy

Moderator/Tech Counselor
We got into Colorado Springs Saturday. 5 hrs flying time from SE WI. Averaged over 185 mph with some head winds. Seemed like about 20-25 mph. Flew most of the way at about 8500 msl. What a great way to travel. Cutter Aviation at COS is hangaring the plane and keeping it fueled up. We took a flight up towards LXV, but the clouds were getting a little thick over the Collegiate peaks, so we turned around over Buena Vista and headed back to COS. Chicken **** flat lander. But it was fun cruising the mountains for the first time without an instructor. Pikes Peak was awesome as we flew past it. Twice!!! COS really seems to be a nice airport for GA. The tower and ground people are all very helpful and courteous.

I'll post some pics when we get back.

Roberta

jealous in WI

Chicken **** nothing; smart.
Jealous in WI. Looking forward to pictures (inspiration).
T.S.
7A

We flew back to Wisconsin today (WAHHHHH). Great flight back, though. Smooth as glass at about 8500 msl. Only a little over 4 hrs flying time with one fuel stop in Iowa. Met a gentleman building a 7 there. I'll post pics tommorrow.

Roberta

Had a great time in Colorado this last week. Weather prevented flying as much as we wanted too. We did make an attempt to fly to LXV but clouds scared us away. The rest of the week was pretty wet and cloudy. I guess we'll plan for a fall Vacation next year. We did stop in at LXV by car as we were looking around the state. Had to say hello to Dan and his wife. And get Rich a Leadville hat.

Cutter Aviation in COS took Great care of us and "Oliver II". Jessi Scudder and the Crew are Great people and really nice to deal with. I highly recommend them if you are basing at COS for a trip or vacation.

COS is a very GA friendly airport. Controllers were very nice and helpful. The Radisson is very close by and has great rooms and suites. Solo's Restaurant is fun and the food was good. My Dad flew in KC-97's and it was nice to see one up close again.

Our main objective for this trip was to scout out Colorado for prospective retirement property and see what part of CO we liked best. We liked it all, but proximety to towns large enough to support our needs and altitude ruled out some areas. Our favorites that worked out are near Divide and Westcliff.

We did not get as many pics as we intended. Awe of the area or haze obstructed many picture ops. When we got near the Collegiate Peaks by Buena Vista, I think Rich just forgot to take pics due to the incredible views. Oh Well!!! Pics never do justice to actually being there.

Keep banging away and get that plane done and enjoy what it can really do.

Roberta

pikespeakup0.jpg

pikespeakpilotgd3.jpg

radissonga9.jpg

robertahegy said:
We flew back to Wisconsin today (WAHHHHH). Great flight back, though. Smooth as glass at about 8500 msl. Only a little over 4 hrs flying time with one fuel stop in Iowa. Met a gentleman building a 7 there. I'll post pics tommorrow.

Roberta

Flew many times from Maryland to California. One of our fuel stops is in Harlan, Iowa (KHNR). The gentleman there that runs the place is Olie Pash. Great guy who is building a -7.

Next step is for you to cross the mountains to the coast. The trip along the coast is a good one too.

Sounds like a great trip!

Thanks for the pirep on Harlan! My cousins own a coffee shop in downtown Harlan, so I'll be making that my fuel stop between Ohio and Colorado.

Thanks, Guys! By the way, Harlan's fuel price for 100LL was only $3.48. We paid about $4.25 most everywhere else.

Olie was a real fine man to meet and we enjoyed talking to him. Just to show how small our aviation world is, there was a photo of a P-51 on the wall there. I asked if that was Tony Beuchler's 51 and Olie said it was. Tony lives in Waukesha, WI now, but grew up in Harlan.

What are the odds of randomly picking an airport for a fuel stop, and finding you have a connection? Great world, aviation is!!!

Roberta

Good write up

Marci and I are planning to visit her family in Colorado Springs in mid June...We live in Western Oregon.

we'll be looking for some tips to cross the Rockies soon.

Cheers

Frank

I did a Google on CO DOT and requested a CO aeronautical map with typical mountain pass routes depicted on it. It also included all the AWOS frequencies so you could get weather updates from many of the passes and airports. It was very helpful for our trip. You might be able to get a similar chart for Utah and Wyoming.

COS and Cutter were Great.

Roberta

Back