What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder Check off aircraft

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I have a G3X with the GSU 25 air data feeding my remote GTX-335R.

My aircraft/transponder have to be inspected for phase 1 compliance, can I do this off the aircraft if I pull those units?

-Bruce

Needs to be installed, on the aircraft. A lot of the issues are coax, encoder/altitude, antenna, etc. There are many tech’s with portable equipment, they’ll come to you.

Needs to be installed, on the aircraft. A lot of the issues are coax, encoder/altitude, antenna, etc. There are many tech?s with portable equipment, they?ll come to you.

I called all the avionics shops in town, nobody is portable. How would I find a portable transponder checker in Kansas City metro?

I don't see how they can't be portable. They have to take the test equipment to the airplane to run the tests.

Also consider turning the XPNDR off and flying it to the nearest shop within your P1 area for the test to be done.

Also consider turning the XPNDR off and flying it to the nearest shop within your P1 area for the test to be done.

And placard it as ?inop?. Unless you?re located within a transponder-required airspace (class B, C, 30 mile mode C veil). Your DAR should be okay with this.

Often you can get a waiver for one flight to a facility by calling the controlling facility.

+1
My home field (KLVK) is one mile inside the mode C veil around SFO. Not only will they give you a mode C waiver on request; if you go up to the tower and sign a waiver form, you can make it permanent.

I'm exploring that... my FSDO inspector wants to inspect my transponder before flight.

1. Get the waiver
2. Pull the transponder out of the airplane.
The inspector can?t inspect what?s not there. And since you have the waiver to fly outside mode C required airspace, he can?t claim it?s required.

What is done at my airport is the maintenance shop at the FBO sets up a date and everybody needing a transponder check or pitot/static check shows up on that day. The avionics shop with the equipment drives about 200 miles to service everybody. The transponder test set is about the size of a shoe box.

lAuTxe.jpg

Back