What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to ready for Trans-Continental X/C trip

skyyking

Flying my RV-9 from Kenosha Wisconsin to KSMO Santa Monica in the coming weeks, one-way because of job relocation. Airplane now has 100 hours TT.
Any heads up information would be most appreciated. My initial thoughts are to head direct for Santa Fe New Mexico and then pick-up Interstate 40 thru Flagstaff AZ.
Can I rent an O2 bottle, or is it worth the effort? Have Dynon Skyview and Garmin uplink weather, but wish to avoid IFR flying, though I am rated and equipped.
What tools would you bring along?

Thank you for your input, it is most appreciated. It is a long way and much can happen, esp. over high terrain.

Probably the best tool is contact capability on VAF - there are more folks on this site spread around the country than you can shake a stick at. Print out the White Pages and take it along. Cell phone is probably the all-aroudn best tool you can carry.

You can easily do the trip without O2 on the I-10 or I-80 routes. It's higher on the I-40 corridor, but if you pick your days, you can get through any of them.

La Vita pass near COS is a great place to cross. Follow the highway through. Make sure to be really early in the day before the winds pick up (before 10-11am.

Boy your hangar rent just went up!

I did the opposite trip this time last year in my -9A. O2 wasnt necessary but i used it down south flying around 11k. You pry wont go so high since you'll be bucking the winds...

If you want to avoid high terrain and not think too hard about MOA's and restricted, the southerly route is pretty comfy. Basic route would be direct to clovis, ABQ, el paso, deming, phoenix and over to LA....

Punch this in for basic route: KENW KCVN CME WHOLE KDMN SSO TFD BLH PSP KSMO. Weather wise, once your past ABQ should be clear sailing.

I know there's people here on that would fly direct KENW to KSMO but not me. bring water, snacks, change of clothes and be ready to spend a night or two where needed.

My initial thoughts are to head direct for Santa Fe New Mexico and then pick-up Interstate 40 thru Flagstaff AZ.

I came back to Cedar Rapids IA from the west coast along an essentially similar route in 2013. Generally speaking it was Mojave to Vegas to Albuquerque, and then back (we took a northern route on the way out over Rapid City, Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, etc). I was a pretty low-time VFR-only pilot at the time, and it was my first "real" cross-country trip (we had an absolute blast!). It was also my first time over any kind of real terrain... that had me quite anxious to say the least!

We were in an Archer and never had to go above 11,500 on that route (eastbound), with personal minimums of 2,000' AGL clearance at all times. I think you can pretty easily do it at 10,500 westbound, certainly 12,500. I wouldn't say O2 is worth the effort for this trip unless you really want to take a more direct route over the bumps. That wasn't even an option in our lowly Archer :)

In my opinion, as a flatland pilot it's worth the relatively few extra miles to dodge the worst of the terrain and stay near an interstate when the land becomes more unforgiving and remote. There were parts of central AZ and NM where flight following lost us on radar (and radio!) for sometimes 50 miles at a stretch. It's nice to have a paved interstate with cars on it in sight during those times...

Other general tips I'm sure you already know or have already heard, but I remember learning and using on our trip:
-Try to avoid winds aloft >20kts to avoid mountain wave or turbulence when near the mountains.
-Maintain >2000' AGL at all times.
-Sometimes it took a 1-2 day delay to achieve the above points while maintaining VFR. Part of the fun of flying... overnights in random towns!!
-Watch out for restricted airspace! There is a LOT out there. Flight following can save your bacon on this, but don't rely on it. Sometimes if they are cold they can vector you through or above.
-(IMHO) Pay the extra money for full-serve fuel... the FBO's have tons of free advice and crew cars etc. Really helpful if unfamiliar.
-Pack and dress for the terrain you're flying over, not the weather at the destination.
-Bring snacks, water, a handheld radio and PLB (I have this one)

Most of all, have fun!!! It's a total blast and huge reward to start descending into California with the terrain behind you and the Pacific Ocean in sight ahead :D

UGN to VNY

I did almost the exact same trip but from Waukegan to Van Nuys a few years back and it was a total blast! On the way there we overnighted in Pueblo and went thru La Veta pass early the next morning at 11,500 with no issues then did some airport hopping at many of the cool places to land out that way (Monument Valley, Sedona, etc). On the way back we went via ABQ which has lower terrain and a is bit easier. We didn't have 02 (you really only need to be up high for short periods of time). A pulse oximeter might be a worthy investment. As others have mentioned, it's much more desolate in areas out west so plan accordingly. Good luck and have fun!

Credit card glitch

On the first long X-country I made, my primary credit card was rejected on about the 4th fill-up. I didn't realize that when i selected "fill-up" instead of say "25 gal" on self service pumps my card was being charged $1000 temporarily until the exact transaction amount was transmitted to my credit card company a couple of days later. At $1000/pop, my card was quickly maxed out. Luckily I had another card. John

Things to carry

You might want to carry a spare fuel tank drain valve, a spare fuel cap and, if weight allows, a spare main tire tube. I have also started carrying a small Unibit in case I need to stop drill a canopy crack. You really need some means of tying down also.

Other stuff I take in my fly fishing vest is a tool to break out of a flipped plane, a ResQLink and a pair of light weight parachute goggles (folded over) in case of a buzzard collision. John

Last edited:
tips

I do a lot of cross country flying....
-snacks, water...always a life saver so your hydrated and no starving.
-basic tools you use for misc repairs
-nose and main spare tube
-at least one spare plug
-back up power source to charge phone and ipad and stratus etc (ensure enough to charge in real life)
-spare fuel cap and fuel drain
-tie down stuff and canopy cover
-Data plan so you can get on vaf for help, get weather, book a room online etc if no wifi.
-good sun shade, and maybe some of the static stick ones from a car store for the side of canopy and/or one of those fishing hats with the side curtains to keep you from getting baked in the sun.
Ensure all maps properly cached on ipad for the route.
-couple more quarts of oil then really required
-a spot tracker with some buddies watching you from their desks, and the holly Shi# button properly programmed with the stuff required if you need to push it.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
XC Planning

I regularly fly between Inyokern (IYK) CA, and Rostraver (FWQ) PA, with a refueling stop at either Taos or Raton, NM. VFR flight following nearly all the way at 9.5 / 8.5K. Only serious climb is between Taos and Raton, and even that is below O2 required altitude. I go close to the Grand Canyon airport for the scenery. They'll give you flight following then give you an LA Center freq for continued flight following. Just be aware of the altitude restrictions over the Grand Canyon. If you drift north after Vegas, you'll be in contact with Joshua Approach (120.25) until clear of R-2508. Joshua will give you crossing altitudes (or deviations) for the various restricted areas.

I can get nearly 700 miles out of my -8A - which makes the endurance of the plane much greater than the endurance of my bladder. Most important cross country tool for me is a GatorAde bottle.

I fly a lot of x-country in my -12. I always carry a Personal Locating Beacon (PLB) that is strapped to my waist (not in the flight bag). There is a lot of open country around the US and a PLB will likely get you located within 2 hours and rescued in less than 24 hours.

a completely different opinion

I'm based near SFO and have owned an O2 bottle for years. I don't always use it, just as I don't always use my ifr rating. But when you need it, it sure is nice to have it.
What's in the future? Do you forsee over the Sierra flights to Lake Tahoe, Reno? Or will you stick to the SoCal area? How old are you? I used to fly at 11,000' all day long just fine. But now, at 67, I often use O2 at those altitudes - I just feel so much better on arrival. Remember hypoxia can really sneak up on you. So ask what you plan for the future, and if it's worth the investment or not.

I understand that KSMO has some pretty large landing fees these days.

Dave

$5.48 per 1,000 pounds of maximum certificated gross landing weight. Not too bad unless you're doing pattern work. Be sure and look at the bill, my first one charged me for takeoffs and landings as well as for a plane much heavier than mine. The mistakes were corrected (aside from not allowing a pilot on the Santa Monica Airport Commission.)

Just Finished Trip

Landed on Thursday @ KSMO. Took 1.5 day's with four Fuel stops and an overnight at Double Eagle airport near ABQ.
Please (if you can) always fly toward improving weather, for I took off from Wisconsin with a big low pressure center in southern Illinois. This gave me a great tailwind well into Kansas, but poor weather until I got into Nebraska. So have the fuel range to keep your options open.

Lastly, I was uneasy about the entire trip, for this vehicle was created with my own two hands. But I had no squawks, zero. I attribute this specifically to having good help (EAA Technical Rep) stop by on a regular basis when this slow build kit was still in pieces. To them, I give my ultimate respect and admiration for the services that they provide to builders.

Glad you made it safely! :D

I also echo your sentiments towards the EAA tech counselors... our RV isn't flying yet but even so I can't say enough about the value of "peer reviewed" work, not to mention the confidence built from having someone who knows what they're talking about give your work the thumbs up.

Enjoy your new job on the west coast... Cheers! -Mike

Back