What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas -cape santa maria tips?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Our third annual Canadians fly out to the bahamas is getting closer. 9 planes this year.
We booked into Cape Santa Maria on Long island for most of the trip. Anyone on here been there? Rooms, beach etc look amazing, just wanted some tips on the airport (is it decent or better to use stella marais and cab it?) Other tips on excursions etc would be much appreciated.
Feel free to pm me. Thanks.

Long Island

Rick,
We have 10 planes heading to Abaco (Green Turtle) for a few days and then on to Long Island in early March. I haven't been to Long Island in 5 years but at that time I was cautioned to NOT fly into Cape Santa Maria. You may want to call and get a PIREP for the runway.

Gary

I toured Cape Santa Maria Resort several years back, it was incredible! On my bucket list for places to stay. It's not a bad cab ride from Stella Maris. We drove the runway, not sure of the current condition but length seemed doable in an RV.

I've been into the Cape Santa Maria strip for the last 3 or 4 years as part of a annual Bahamas trip with a group of Columbias. Love the beach, very clean accommodations with an on site restaurant with good food and lots of variety on the menu. We like to stay close to the airport/planes for day trips around the islands and the strip allows that.

The wheel pants on a Columbia provide 2x the ground clearance that my RV7A has. In the 15-20 landings x 5 planes we have never damaged any of the wheel pants but I would have to think hard about taking the RV in there. We walk the runway once or twice each year clearing the obvious. The last 300'+ on the northwest end gets very rough. Length is ok. We land from the southeast (rw 33) over the lagoon unless the winds dictate otherwise. If you have to land to the south skip the first 300-400' touching down about even with the hanger to the right. Big trees just east of the runway make a great wind sock.

Dale

Last edited:
My wife and I flew our RV-4 into the Cape Santa Maria airport with my buddy in his RV-7 last April. The first 300-400 feet of the southeast runway are a bit rough. We would land just beyond that. The runway is certainly primitive but we had no issues with it. We flew in and out a half dozen times. The first time you land the resort just shows up with a vehicle to haul you and your gear to the resort. After that we just walked it. Took 11 minutes each way. We stayed in the bungalows, choosing the farthest ones away from the lobby. Beautiful place, great food and service, and we met other pilots and couples enjoying their stay also. We did flight seeing trips most days. Enjoyed our visit to Fernandez Bay Resort for lunch on Cat Island. Land at New Bight. The Resort will come get you but we enjoyed the mile walk to the beach.

Enjoy your visit.

Back