What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy way to heat up plane from anywhere!

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Ok this is so cool, figured I would share to see if it helps others.
Turn your plane engine/oil heater on from your smart phone! $23 total.

I live in Canada and my plane sits in a large hangar. There is wifi in the building. When it is cold, I drive to the airport, plug in the oil/engine heater. Give it overnight or at least a few hours and good to go. Lately i have been working alot and it seems the nice days are never when I have time, and or no time to go plug in plane.

Here is a great and cheap toy!
A few buddies got one and so today i got mine and it only took 3 minutes to hook it up...and i am not the quickest when it comes to technology.

So this to me is the perfect tool. Anytime I want to fly, from my phone I start the plane warm up. If weather changes or I get busy, turn it back off from my phone. No wasted trips to the airport.

Anyway, i know there are ones that use sim cards etc for $100 or more but for $23, great purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAX2GVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Rick,

Thanks for the report on the Wifi smart switch! I currently use a cell phone style switch, but I am days away from getting wireless in my hangar, and am actively looking for a replacement. This looks like it fits the bill, and the price is beyond right!

Thanks for the Pirep!

What is the amperage rating on this? I looked quickly and I couldn't find it. A heater is likely to draw between 10 and 15 amps. (Update: I just asked that question on the Amazon site.)

Last edited:
What is the amperage rating on this? I looked quickly and I couldn't find it. A heater is likely to draw between 10 and 15 amps. (Update: I just asked that question on the Amazon site.)

Amazon site says, "Electrical rating: 120V/15A/60Hz/1800W". So it's good for up to 15A resistive load. But a sump heater doesn't draw near that. Mine has 2 pads at 100W each, for a total draw of under 2A.

Even the hottest system Reiff sells, with 100W on each cylinder (assuming a 6-cyl engine) and 200W on the oil sump, would still draw less than 7A.

Last edited:
Back