What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camlocs by Spinner

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing the skybolt camlocs around the cowling and was just curious if anyone has installed them at the front of the cowling by the spinner to replace the 3 screws per side? If so, did you just install two per side? Any pics? Or is there a good reason not to do this, perhaps not enough room?

g16SlJoKeTpzN7Hh8Q6LRo95feq3lqs8NpEvHSwYO0LyPtRGVVkzHtaBLRRM-EAsD4xoNQ2tG6rNwA02UxXueIAxNhf9JN-HfnDJvdMgSuur-Plxu7YR9y7AZOKW_ZRN2yLbiowj4cw425dBjnnEHgnnCwcg3YqXhImmMhWj-_5ddtmARp6NgEotfSCxHC6zJeOrXS6Y4heUJZj4waRzOhFUqckitpeUuvL7vGPSPLVpDRwcQBDgcW1n7BL7GbJTrNQ0JiE7rmCVGP3alN7IPCAfQiebANcORwzDoGAmgcfYB--O3WQqVhoJC17IyxJ4yjZsbzuGfPHt6bhALp7edRJ0zP6Byuajkn3FHF-Lmkx5cCqzmz5f5_ippnYjGGO55edoRd-cyNd0x9kwr1LJxDkBZBq-PXV8VKG8v-cn2zzjiHDa4IeDXj1CIIYawQe9MN65pnPuvW6hUHfVaFNavsS_01NNxFeBgBZAitmVti7ww3j-VBw5XPMviOCfGvdygtIMITh5ZZjlJd5p4juF4UqeHlWrC_8iASIFCOSQ8SUSp2iFjFb-TJpo0Ag097fnxiYgf7j4QWmzjkywX8vxdF2IW2eNNl-xINSyt5CxMwRDIN157gXtWj24QC4lQBAelnQpZCbZAqdU0M9oezbzWVycTB7xEN5CVul9k-lIDhqPY9SaZhEm8w1w3E7Xvs1LHIy2wMBYl-CMli4h94Y=w889-h629-no

Thanks,
Lynn

I had that conversation with either Milspec or Skybolt. They recommended against installing their product in that location. I forget if it was a clearance (from the flywheel) or a vibration issue.

I used the three nut plates per side on my -6A. I do not remember the screw lengths that I used, but the rearmost location required a shorter screw as if the longer screw length were used it would contact the gear teeth of the flywheel.

The screws that I used were 8-32 washer head and I also used a nylon washer under the head to keep from marking up the paint.

90 degree cordless screw driver

If you can find a 90 degree cordless screw driver it will save a lot of time and frustration. I picked one up at Lowes years ago but haven't seen them since.

You definitely want screws and nut plates in that area. It must be tightly held together or vibration will cause significant cracks to develop. Search for a 90 degree offset ratcheting screwdriver. It only takes a about couple minutes to install or remove the screws. The secret is to apply adequate pressure to hold the #2 driver bit in place & at the correct angle to prevent damage to the screw head.

Heresy

I only have one phillips screw on each side of the spinner in this location, slightly toward the front for screw access. There is some wear on the screw hole after ten years of use, but there is no cracking. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe OWT.

YMMV
Don

I used 2 screws with nut plates on each side closest to the prop and toward the middle. Just use a long #2 screwdriver to get at both which works great. Keeps everything tight. I have seen the pain people have with the 3rd screw, especially if the head gets rounded out. I don't think the cam locks would work well here as the glass is thick with no give so it would be very difficult to engage and clear the sockets when installing and removing the top cowl. I used the Skybolts at the firewall end, top and bottom, which work great.

Al

I used 2 screws with nut plates on each side closest to the prop and toward the middle. Just use a long #2 screwdriver to get at both which works great. Keeps everything tight. I have seen the pain people have with the 3rd screw, especially if the head gets rounded out. I don't think the cam locks would work well here as the glass is thick with no give so it would be very difficult to engage and clear the sockets when installing and removing the top cowl. I used the Skybolts at the firewall end, top and bottom, which work great.

Al

I just use the front two screws as well. No problems in 500 hrs. Camlocs would be a major pain here, just in terms of getting top cowl to sit down over the bottom cowl.

Back