What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Alabama

Pell City: Southern-style buffett

Pell City,Al has a nice restaurant on the field. They have limited hours, so call ahead. The latest I know are open every Sunday for a southern-style buffett. Open the first Saturday for a big breakfast.
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, GA
www.falconrv.com
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P

Places To Fly...Things to See...Things to Eat

Monroeville, AL (MVC) has good catfish across the road from the NE end of the runway at DAVID'S CATFISH HOUSE. There is a parking area there which is within walking distance (about a150 yards or so). FBO is a longer walk.
We try to go there about once a month from BHM.
Doug Preston
RV10 N372RV

Got to mention Moontown (3M5) as my 3rd Saturday breakfast destination.
Don Hull recently posted pictures showing the variety of aircraft and personalities attending.

Monroeville, AL (MVC) has good catfish across the road from the NE end of the runway at DAVID'S CATFISH HOUSE. There is a parking area there which is within walking distance (about a150 yards or so). FBO is a longer walk.
We try to go there about once a month from BHM.
Doug Preston
RV10 N372RV

Not sure this will help an RV owner... but

Free food at the MVC FBO for 50 gallon purachase or more.... usually BBQ left over on the weekends and various meals during the week...

BFM and MOB do the same for Mobile, they'll order you a pizza if you call ahead, but you got to buy 50 gallons.

Andalusia, 79J has free food as well for 50 gallon purchase... they have the nicest free food FBO in the area, talking about the digs... the food is usually good during the weak and spartan on the weekends... not sure if they have AVGAS...

Same thing at 0j4 (Florala, AL)... and they always are open (but don't sell Avgas, just Jet-a)

Tuscaloosa has a courtesy car and a decent drive to "Dream land" for some great ribs. Thats about all they sell at dreamland...

1R8 Bay minette
Tel 251-937-2900

AVGas and Jet A... free food with minimal purchase (50 gallons?) curteosy cars get you to the restaraunt for the free chow: mexican or chineese

Extremely friendly customer service oriented. Pretty Young girls in short shorts pump the fuel and drive the trucks/golf carts.

They even loaded them all up and made a trip to our Podunk O-club for ladies night!:D

Talladega Camping??

We are planning to fly to the October Race at Talladega early on the Sunday morning of the race. We have never been to Talladega before or to any NASCAR race for that matter. I understand the airport adjoins the track and questioned whether we could tent camp at the airport after the race Sunday night or somewhere within walking distance. Anybody flown in for a race and camping??? Any info would help.

Thanks

Eufalua, AL

A friend and I flew down to KEUF for lunch yesterday. The restaurant which is adjacent to the airport was great. Old southern buffet. Got there early with a one hour time difference from Peachtree City, GA and avoided the post church rush.

The fried chicken is so good your tongue will beat your brains out. I understand they are closed on Saturdays, however. Great FBO on the field too.

Mark

organge beach al

flew into jack edwards (KJKA) 3 weeks ago very nice FBO and they treat small planes just like the larger ones Red Carpet loaned use a crew car for the mile drive to lulu's resturant this is jimmy buffetts sisters place and its on the entercoastal waterway watch the boats go buy maybe a barge and tug boat also the beach is not far away with good shopping or eating at the Warf
this is half way between pensacola and mobile so lots of other things to do also
bob

Decatur, AL (KDCU)

Prime Rib Lunch Fly-In on Fifth Saturdays. Lunch served at airport from 11-2. See this link for more info about May 29, 2010 event.

Also, the Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic is held at Decatur's Point Mallard Park every Memorial Day Weekend. You should plan ahead to get transportation from the airport to the park. Balloon races are held on Saturday and Sunday mornings (early) weather permitting. Sixty two balloons are entered in this years event. The balloons should be on the ground by 8:30 Saturday morning as they usually take off before 7:00 AM.

Last edited:
Balloon Race - Airplane Race

Prime Rib Lunch Fly-In on Fifth Saturdays. Lunch served at airport from 11-2. See this link for more info.

Also, the Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic is held at Decatur's Point Mallard Park every Memorial Day Weekend. You should plan ahead to get transportation from the airport to the park. Balloon races are held on Saturday and Sunday mornings (early) weather permitting. Sixty two balloons are entered in this years event. The balloons should be on the ground by 8:30 Saturday morning as they usually take off before 7:00 AM.

There must be some artistic blood flowing through your rocket man veins Don - the beautiful colors, the graceful drifting race ...

Now on October 30, 2010 the Tennessee Valley III (cross country) and Pumpkin Dash (two way low altitude speed trap) will be held near you at Courtland, Alabama. (See www.sportairrace.org calendar of events for more details as they become available). I intend to fly my RV-6A in both events.

Bob Axsom

Decatur, AL Balloon Race

Yes, Bob, there is something magical about 62 hot air balloons rising from a field beside the Tennessee River and drifting along with the wind. I think this will be something like the 35th annual balloon race at Decatur's Point Mallard Park. They actually have to turn away many entrants each year because their launching field is limited in size, so 62 is the limit. The multi-colored balloons of many different patterns and shapes are very appealing to me.

Hope to see you this year at Courtland as I missed you last year.

Decatur, AL Chapter 941 Fly In Lunch Saturday July 31

Burgers and dogs for lunch. See the details here. The local FBO will be offering a fuel discount for pilots returning from Oshkosh.

POSTPONED!!! (AL) Fifth Saturday Pryor Field Fly In/Grill Out

Just trying to get the word out...

We have decided to postpone our Fifth Saturday Fly In/Grill Out and Young Eagles event at Pryor Regional Airport (DCU). The airport is open; however, they are operating the UNICOM on handheld radios. There is no power to the entire airport so no hangar doors can be opened.

With so many people being affected due to tornado damage and the TVA electrical power distribution system not being able to provide power to thousands of homes we felt it was proper to postpone our Fly In to a later date.

Hi Bobby,
No damage to buildings or airplanes inside hangars as far as I know. However, the two big Antonov An-2 biplanes which were parked outside both suffered damage when the tie-down ropes/chains and/or anchors broke.

I'm not sure whether it was the ropes/chains or anchors, but one of the biplanes came to rest in the grass between the runway and the taxiway and the other can be seen about a 1/2 mile east of the runway way out in the field. :eek:

The airport is open and operating even though they have no power. They are able to communicate on the UNICOM frequency on handheld radios and fuel is available from trucks.

About a mile north of the airport a tornado crossed US31 highway and three people were killed in a trailer park. It continued on a heading of about 070 and caused more death and destruction in Madison County.

Pryor Airport Fly In/Grill Out Re-Scheduled

To continue this thread...
The EAA 941 Pryor Airport April Fly In/Grill Out originally scheduled for April 30 has been re-scheduled for Saturday, June 11.
More details to follow.

Decatur, AL (KDCU) Pryor Airport Lunch Saturday July 30

Barbecue, burgers and brats will be served from 11:00 -1:00 at our July "Fifth Saturday" Fly-in/Grill-out. Details are provided here.

Young Eagles will be flown beginning at 8:00.

If you're returning from Oshkosh, visit us and have lunch with us.

Last edited:
Tuskegee Air Museum

At Moton (06A) the Tuskegee Air Museum recently opened with one hanger telling the story of the Tuskegee Air Men and showing a J-3 and Stinson trainer. I believe the other hanger opens this summer with more and a P-51. You can see in person where the "Red Tails" trained. This is a National Historic Site sponsored by our taxes so enty is free. Folks at the FBO are full of Southern Warmth and will lend you a late model Nissan Quest van to drive the 2 miles to the many restaurants in Tuskegee if you buy fuel.

100_1096.jpg

Last edited:
Back