What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A by Mark P.

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I thought I would add my project to this section. I am building an RV-7A which is my third airplane project, and my first aluminum kit.

I will save my pennies for a new 180 horse O-360 from Van's and the panel will be Dynon products with autopilot. My goal is to build simple and light and use a fixed pitch metal prop.

My build log is here: http://www.aircraftstickers.com/RV7A/RV7A.htm

Here's a pic of the current status (as of August 30, 2012)

Wing.png

I just had 9 days off of work and spent most of the time working on the wings. I went from having spars and ribs to building a jig, riveting the wing skeleton, matching drilling all the skins, building and installing the leading edges, and finishing all of the Z-brackets.

I could have had the wing tanks at least match drilled but I ran out of clecos which I had to order as well as a new fluting tool. That's a lot of progress for a week's work.

I also finalized my paint scheme. Now don't any of you guys go and copy now! It's based on the T-38.

UPDATE: Wait...I think everyone should copy it! Wouldn't it be cool to have a whole 'squadron' of RV's painted like this??

My_RV.png

Last edited:
Things are moving nicely! Both wing tanks are built and fit to the wings. There is almost ZERO gap between the tank and leading edge-the fit is amazing. All the Z-brackets are drilled and complete.

Now the 'fun' begins. I think the next step is actually building these tanks and sealing them with pro-seal. That will be a huge step to have the tanks complete-but a step I will take very slowly. I want these tanks to come out perfect with no leaks.

Here's a progress pic...

wing_tank.png

As I was drilling the holes for in the splice plate, I inserted a screw in each hole just to make sure nothing moved. Again, the fit is amazing, but man these tanks were a bugger to build!

11sep12e.jpg

If you're wondering, I made tick marks by each hole as I match drilled them. I do this so that when I move the cleco's around I don't miss any holes and I know which ones have been drilled and which holes have not. Works for me...

I just had 9 days off of work and spent most of the time working on the wings. I went from having spars and ribs to building a jig, riveting the wing skeleton, matching drilling all the skins, building and installing the leading edges, and finishing all of the Z-brackets.

I could have had the wing tanks at least match drilled but I ran out of clecos which I had to order as well as a new fluting tool. That's a lot of progress for a week's work.

I also finalized my paint scheme. Now don't any of you guys go and copy now! It's based on the T-38.

UPDATE: Wait...I think everyone should copy it! Wouldn't it be cool to have a whole 'squadron' of RV's painted like this??

My_RV.png
Nice job on the illustration!

Things are moving nicely! Both wing tanks are built and fit to the wings. There is almost ZERO gap between the tank and leading edge-the fit is amazing. All the Z-brackets are drilled and complete.

Let us know how that fit is after you seal the tank. Mine looked that when only clecoed, but now I have about a 0.050 bulge on the tank skin, top side only. Change in contour due to sealant? I'm thinking about installing the W-408 undersize rib with sealant between it and the joint plate in an effort to bring the leading edge skin closer the tank skin.

Before:
DSCN3439.JPG

After: (sorry for the focus....)
DSCN3640.JPG

I can't tell by looking at your After photo-is there just a larger gap between the tank and leading edge?

I guess I won't know how mine will turn out until it's all riveted together.

I can't tell by looking at your After photo-is there just a larger gap between the tank and leading edge?

I guess I won't know how mine will turn out until it's all riveted together.

The spanwise gap is still about what is was, almost nothing. Before sealing the tank the skin was in contact with the joint plate, making the exact same contour as the LE skin. Now, it sits above the joint plate, about 0.050 at its highest point.

Kit ordered!

I just sent in my order for the fuselage kit and the finish kit! This thread stated I am building a 7A, but I decided on the tailwheel -7. I also went with the slider canopy. Making the choice on the canopy was the hardest part!

I will be using the O-360, 180 horse carb'd engine with the RV fixed pitch prop, so I ordered the cowl and mount for that set up.

I'm almost done with the wings so I figured I better order now to beat the price increase!:D

Wings are done! (sort of...)

I'm actually amazed I'm at this point in the build! I never thought I would get here. The wings are (mostly) done! As you can see, the wings still need the bottom skins but they have been moved to my Aircraft Storage Facility. Some weird people call it the "living room".

Working on the Ailerons and flaps now. Can't wait to get the fuselage. Ordered on March 18th!

You too?!

If you're wondering, I made tick marks by each hole as I match drilled them. I do this so that when I move the cleco's around I don't miss any holes and I know which ones have been drilled and which holes have not. Works for me...

I do the EXACT same thing!

PROGRESS!!!!

My wings have been sitting in my living room for 3-4 months now while I tried to match schedules with someone to help rivet the bottom skins on. On the left wing, I did do the bottom inboard skin myself but I just had no idea how anyone could do the outer skins solo!

Well today I finally had help and we finished the bottom skins on the left wing. So now the finished wing is in a spare bedroom, and the R wing is in the garage. I have my living room back!!

It looks like my buddy can come back next week to finish up the R wing. I have the fuselage kit and finish kit still in the crates in the garage. They were delivered about a month ago.

I just thought I would post an update. I'm at an interesting spot on the project for me. The reason is because when I would look at other's builder's logs and see the same pics that I just posted, I would think to myself, "Wow! I can't imagine being at that point on my RV!" It seemed like an insurmountable task to get to this point. And I'm really not THAT far along, it's just that I can now see the fuselage taking shape.

As everyone else has already realized, the fuselage really is the most fun part to build. My next 'goal' is to get the fuse on the gear. That's where the real fun starts as I can start adding systems!

Anyway, here's a most recent pic. A lot of you probably barely remember the day your RV looked like this. Others, you're probably thinking how awesome it would be to be at this point! HAHA :D

My builder's log has some more photos here: http://www.aircraftstickers.com/RV7A/RV7A.htm

Looks great, Mark!! Building model planes, I always loathed building the wings and couldn't wait to get to the fuselage. For me (QB builder), the most enjoyable part so far has been the instrument panel and wiring. Keep your nose to the grindstone, er, Scotchbrite wheel (not OSHA recommended!).

Back