What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garden Valley Idaho Airport???

I haven't been...but my hangar mate was there last month. He really liked it. I don't recall all the details, but he did recommend it. If you want more info I'll try to ask tomorrow.

The approach isn't bad, the valley is pretty wide, and the grass strip isn't too short. This is actually considered one of the good beginners strips for Idaho backcountry flying. It is very easy to find because it parallels the highway between the highway and the river.

The Idaho Transportation Department has a nice online airport directory that you should take a look at:
http://itd.idaho.gov/aero/facility%20directory/index.htm

Here is the Garden Valley page:
http://itd.idaho.gov/aero/facility%20directory/launchAirportData.asp?value=U88

It's a nice place, pretty low-key. Compared to Johnson Crick or some of the other places, not much traffic.

Dave

Garden Valley

Stayed there last Thursday. Nice place with very nice and new bath house. Lower altitude and as some mentioned, a little easier approach than Johnson Creek. As a result of lower altitude, the temperature was a little hotter - still cool at night. We spent one night there after leaving Johnson Creek/McCall area, then over to Smiley Creek for breakfast. A courtesy car (pickup) is available, just call Annie and she will come out to the airport with the key and a form to fill out. If you go into town, don't miss the Dirty Shame Saloon for a burger. There is also a hot spring about a mile East of the airport next to the road. A little easier than hiking to the tub at Johnson Creek but the crowd goes with the ease of access. Good luck and have fun.

You back already?

Stayed there last Thursday. Nice place with very nice and new bath house. Lower altitude and as some mentioned, a little easier approach than Johnson Creek. As a result of lower altitude, the temperature was a little hotter - still cool at night. We spent one night there after leaving Johnson Creek/McCall area, then over to Smiley Creek for breakfast. A courtesy car (pickup) is available, just call Annie and she will come out to the airport with the key and a form to fill out. If you go into town, don't miss the Dirty Shame Saloon for a burger. There is also a hot spring about a mile East of the airport next to the road. A little easier than hiking to the tub at Johnson Creek but the crowd goes with the ease of access. Good luck and have fun.

You back already?

Yes, Idaho is so much friendlier to GA than most other states, I will surely go back as often as possible. West Yellowstone was also a great place with good camping area as well as a great and friendly FBO. Sandy was always ready to help and even took us to town. Ice was available at the airport and even a great restaurant. There is scheduled air traffic there, so the restaurant is open most of the time.

Johnson Creek was about like last year but warmer this year. Runway was groomed better this year and there is usually a courtesy car available but not this year as the caretaker was not there for several days.

Garden Valley was well kept as well and great camping ground with tables, fire pits and bath house.

Fuel prices are all over the place and we found Cascade to be one of the best prices in the McCall area.

Smiley Creek is a great stop as well for a breakfast stop. You know you have flown over some pretty rugged country when you go over the sawtooth range.

Love these airplanes that let us have less concern for distance and time.

Back