What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy seal and the dreaded skin pucker

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I had my first flight without any serious problems, and then on the day after I opened the canopy and "click", the center of the canopy skin caught the opposing edge of the forward fuselage skin and bent down 40 degrees right at the point of contact.

For the last months I've been opening and closing the canopy without any interference or problems. My d-seal protruded a little bit like some do but I wasn't too worried about it. More of the fuse assembly in the gap shows than I would prefer but when painted nobody will be able to tell.

I can't think why I had this happen now except that maybe the fit of things has changed a hair after a landing. I did the proseal myself and it isn't up on the top edge as was discussed here previously.

The bent down skin tapped nearly flush with slow taps from a small hammer. Took my time, backed up the top with a heavy flat set, and it looks well enough that nobody but me would tell.

I also filed back the canopy skin edge. I have about 3/32-1/8" gap across the middle segment now. The more lateral segments are a lot closer. If it never catches again it was worth it.

Finally, the D-seal I got from Vans was different than the first one I received. It didn't have the little flange on the side to be cut off; whoever trimmed it prior to shipping did a really good job; or it is a little different than the original. I also noticed that the D-deformed primarily to one side and not the other; like it was designed to slide in a particular direction when compressed. So I oriented the seal to "slide" away from the gap instead of into it. So now my seal isn't protruding in the canopy/fuse gap. I probably set the seal a little further aft than the original too.

I can't say how it will hold up in the rain but watching the seal as the canopy is shut it lays in the groove under the canopy lip as it should so I think it is good for in-flight conditions; can't say how it will hold up in a big rain.

I ruined the hinge seals getting the canopy off. I'm going to try the screw-down plastic ones for ease and convenience.

Last edited:
I had to file my canopy back on the -9 for the same reason. also, by chance, I inspected the plastic hinge covers installed on an RV-14 for a year. they are in perfect condition and no leaks.

On the hinge covers will it be necessary to bond foam as the original seals require? Or apply the "non-hardening flange sealant"? I'm still not sure what product that is since the flange sealants I have all harden.

no sealant required. place the nut in the track with the supplied tool then install the cover with one screw.

if you need to remove the canopy, remove both the cover and nut for reuse prior to removing the canopy or you will easily shear the nut flanges. we supply a couple extra nuts in case you forget.

Last edited:
Back