VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Default Manual

I have an Navworx exp manual which only has 45 pages, so I am thinking my unit is not certified to be able to connect the 430 for ADS-B out. Would my FSDO be able to answer that question?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarre View Post
I have an Navworx exp manual which only has 45 pages, so I am thinking my unit is not certified to be able to connect the 430 for ADS-B out. Would my FSDO be able to answer that question?
No, Kyle at the Fort Worth ACO may know something about the unit, but they are prohibited from sharing any information that Bill has shared with them. That information is treated as a trade secret and can only be publicly released by Bill.

At this point in time, I know of no method to connect an external GPS to the original EXP units. I've been told that the upgraded EXP units do have that ability, but it appears that only a handful were shipped before Navworx was shuttered.

Unfortunately, it appears the owners of the original EXP boxes are SOL.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nelson View Post
Hi Bob,

Read through the updated NavWorx manual that you sent me and page 90 answered all my questions. Figured it'd be useful to note them here for others:

-- Two pins that plug into the P4001 connector of the 430W. I do not believe these are the generic DSUB pins. I'm told by the local avionics shop that the Garmin 400/500 series are particularly susceptible to the bending of the pins upon insertion of the unit so be very careful.

Thank you again, Bob.
As Ralph stated, they are high density pins. A word of caution, if you have large hands like mine, be careful when you take that connector apart to insert the new pins. I usually break one of the high density connections every time I attempt to update one. It's a combination of large hands, being upside down under the panel, and getting my bifocals adjusted to see the darn things.

The easiest place to get pins, etc is SteinAir. You'll also need a different crimper for those as well. Stein sells an inexpensive one, but I'm partial to the Daniel's crimper. But that may be a little pricey for just a couple of pins. There are plenty of used ones on eBay, but sometimes finding the right positioner can be tough.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Default 430W Pins

Thanks guys! A few extras were included with my wiring harness so I should be in good shape .... now I just need to find them.