What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heater install

RVMike

I've been looking at a couple of -4's, neither of which has heat. Being a citizen of Montana where winter tends to arrive every year; can someone inform me as to the level of effort required to procure/install the heating kit, and a very rough cost?

Thank you

I have a heat muff around the right tail pipes going to a valve on the firewall. This makes my right ankle very warm, but the rest of me freezes. In order to have adequate heat some form of diffuser would be required on the cockpit side to spread the heat out over a larger area.

The canopy allows for good greenhouse heating of the upper body, but my legs and feet freeze.

Easiest retrofit by far would be a few feet of wire leading to an electrical outlet so you can use a heated vest and insoles.

Air vs seat

The canopy does not seal well enough in any 4 I have flown to stand up to a Montana winter depending on heated air from the engine. I would definitely mount the heater as it is a nice addition but what has worked for me is to heat the seats. You can get automotive seat heaters off Ebay and have them sewn in. They are inexpensive. The look is very finished. Get the ones with a Low and High setting since they work so well you will want to be able to turn them down. Another nice thing is the heat is immediate so you will be comfortable even on the taxi out before run up where a heat muff is not producing any heat.

Back