- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Primers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedimbek View Post
I would NOT bake my aluminum parts, especially 2024 T3 Alloy. It will permanently alter its original heat treatment condition, making it softer hence reduce its strenght depending on the temperature and duration.
Just my 2 cents of advise.
As with many things, it is not what one does but rather how it is done. I did continue to bake parts that would fit in a toaster oven I had in the shop. 200F was plenty to get the adhesion improvement I was looking for. That is WELL below any issues with aluminum.. If one reads the Variprime docs, it is above the paint service temp but I experienced no downside during baking or 6 years of service.

To your point, I am not a fan of powder coating aluminum for the reason you stated. The baking temps are too high for my comfort level.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
As with many things, it is not what one does but rather how it is done. I did continue to bake parts that would fit in a toaster oven I had in the shop. 200F was plenty to get the adhesion improvement I was looking for. That is WELL below any issues with aluminum.. If one reads the Variprime docs, it is above the paint service temp but I experienced no downside during baking or 6 years of service.

To your point, I am not a fan of powder coating aluminum for the reason you stated. The baking temps are too high for my comfort level.
A few minutes at 200F in a toaster oven is nothing significant. I was thinking more like 1 hour in a 450F baking oven . As long as you are aware of what you're doing that is fine. My point is to bring some awareness to other readers who might not know. Cheers.