What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing Wires though the Ribs

Zazoos

Well Known Member
I know I seen a picture and description somewhere describing acceptable location and diameter holes permitted in the ribs to be drilled for routing wiring, but I cannot find it again. I have searched the manual and the plans.

Thank you,

Having used the forward locations on my 7 and finding issues with congestion with wires, tubes, and aileron pushrod in the wing/fuse gap when installing the wings - - I would suggest the aft/low .750" location. And - - give some thought to how you will route the items through the wing/use gap when installing the wing. The alignment, and/or offset. There is no room to make connections in there and get a hand, screwdriver, or wrench on them. This preparation was out of focus (for me) and I was way too deep in the process for changes at the wing installation point. So - don't be like me - think more carefully about that gap in detail and how it will go together.

Maybe multiple offenders can offer more specific suggestions/solutions here, but this is the time to think about it.

Little reason to make any connections in the wing root area. Leave enough wire to allow connections to be made under the seat pan.
The odds of ever needing to take off the wings = next to zero.
The odds of needing to troubleshoot after your initial testing = next to zero.

I used insulated spade connectors with a service loop just in case, but more than 11 years and counting, haven't had to touch anything. I could have used a continuous harness all the way to the panel.
Many use a terminal block, but I saw no reason to add another point or two for a loose connection. Looks cleaner though for the one time a year you pull your seat pans ;)

To Bill's point, now is the time to think about where the fuselage holes need to go. If you have been sold on some kind of multiconductor connector, don't get me started.

Back