What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 Accessory Case

BMC_Dave

Well Known Member
So I came across an IO-540 with a 76096M accessory case, but when I look that up I see it's used on 320s and 360s. Can't seem to find anything about it being on a 540, is this common?

Interchangeable parts

I think you’ll find that a lot of parts on these different engines are shared/interchangeable. It’s kind of like a small block Chevy, where you can put a 283 and a 350 side by side and there’s no way to tell the difference between the two....they are physically the same size. The only way to determine the difference would be to measure the bore and stroke, but the physical size of the parts are the same....heads, intake manifold, oil pan, etc. Heck, there’s even some parts that are interchangeable between a straight 6 cylinder and a big block Chevy. I’m sure Lycoming, just like Chevy, is going to make as many parts as possible interchangeable....it just makes manufacturing sense. I’m no A&P, but I’d be willing to bet that you could find lots of parts off of a 235 that would bolt right up to a 540, and I’d bet that the accessory case is one of those parts.

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, that's what I was figuring. I just literally couldn't find any info on this combination so I thought I'd check here.

540 A-Case

A 540 Acc. Case is not interchangeable with a 320/360 acc. case. The accessory drive gears utilize a different arrangement. FYI an 0235 A case is not interchangeable with a 320/360 A case, different oiling to the idler shafts/accessory gears.

A 540 Acc. Case is not interchangeable with a 320/360 acc. case. The accessory drive gears utilize a different arrangement. FYI an 0235 A case is not interchangeable with a 320/360 A case, different oiling to the idler shafts/accessory gears.

Sure looks like that's what they've done here then, engine is all put together. Will it explode if it's run then or?

540 A-case

Sure looks like that's what they've done here then, engine is all put together. Will it explode if it's run then or?
I?m sure it has the right A-case on it because I don?t believe the 360 A-case will even bolt on. The 76096 number your referring to is a casting number which is located on the top of the A-case located above the crankcase vent. The part number is a stamped number typically located on the outside of the governor pad.

Back