What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy air leak

1 Task

Hi, all

Im new & learning so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Been looking to possible buy a 4 in the furure and from what i can see in some videos and pictures, it appears the canopy just closes with no gasket or anything to stop the air from rushing in. This makes me wondering how does it seal and are there alot of air leaks?

Thanks in advance!

-4 Canopy seals..or not.

I built my -4, and can tell you the sealing of the canopy takes a little trial and error. What i did was put a very small "bulb seal along both sides, but the seal across the front is tricky. It doesn't take much to get the canopy hard to close or induce another leak if you try sealing with a foam or rubber that is too dense/thick. Mine isn't perfect, but I have it pretty tight.

Most use a seal of some sort, like weather stripping. Mine kept coming off in the front, so I built up a bead out of RTV. It took some time, I didn?t do it all at once, but eventually got it.

Cold neck

Hi, all

Im new & learning so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Been looking to possible buy a 4 in the furure and from what i can see in some videos and pictures, it appears the canopy just closes with no gasket or anything to stop the air from rushing in. This makes me wondering how does it seal and are there alot of air leaks?

Thanks in advance!
Jon,
First, welcome to the RV-4-UM!
I built my Four back in 95' and started test flying it during the hot, muggy summer months in the South us locals call, dog days.
Hot personified.
Canopy leaks were welcomed as any extra fresh air was heavenly below 5K'. In winter (we actually wear shoes that time of year) I noticed a few cool air leaks mainly from behind. I contact-cemented a thin felt lining around the inside of the canopy skirt which reduced air leaks significantly....except in the back seat (where I never noticed them).
My wife commented on a particularly cool day at 11,500' that her neck was getting a cold breeze from somewhere. So...one particularly dark night I placed a drop light inside the cockpit, closed the canopy and turned all other lights out. Voila, every canopy air gap (and many other small holes) were exposed and with the help of a grease pencil, identified and remedied with thicker felt in that spot.

Experimental airplanes are never really finished, but a flying work in progress. You can tweak yours to your own specifications, the beauty of EXP on the canopy rail.
You have chosen wisely. :)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Thank u all! Looking to get my tail wheel this fall and buy something soon...for now ill feed the addiction by this forum and youtube!!

Easy seal

Tape off the top longeron and top skins where the canopy contacts with packing tape or plastic tape. Apply a bead of clear RTV sealant all around on the canopy frame surface. Shut the canopy overnight. Next day, trim the excess extrusion as needed.
The canopy will distort from thermal expansion particularly at the rear. Winter is probably priority one. Let it leak in the summer .

Back