What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing skin Gap

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
Right wing is clecoed up and I have a 1/32" gap from root to tip between my fuel tank/leading edge sub-assemblies and the main wing top skins. The gap between the tank an leading edge at the splice plate is even less, probably 1/64". Normal or do I need to take action? I hope normal because the problem seems over constrained. I don't see what I could do to close the gap. There are clecos EVERYWHERE and all the holes lined up no problem. My concern is that I haven't deburred the edges yet so any gap now might only get larger after the cleaning up the edges.
IMG_4345-L.jpg

IMG_4346-L.jpg

Normal.
You may find as you rivet the skins the gap will lessen. Do a search and you will find quite a few discussions.
It is nothing to worry about.

I had the same gap and I think a contributing factor is how rough the edges were from the shears used at the factory and the amount removed to smooth them. I?ve noticed a lot of the parts on my current project have significantly rougher edges than the other kits I was building years ago.

When I look at all the gaps, bulges and other imperfections of the multi-million dollar planes I fly at work it makes me feel better though!

Back