What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000 Fuel Flow Transducer

Omega232Devils

Well Known Member
I have been talking with Reggie (Glas467) the resident Vision Microsystems guru about my fuel flow indications, but thought I would post here to see if anyone has seen or dealt with this issue.

I have an O-360-A1A, with VM1000 (Non 'C' Model) engine monitor and FloScan 264 (part# 3010019) fuel flow transducer.

FloScan264-3010019-carb-engine.jpg

I have been dealing with fluctuating indications that sometimes even go to 0.0 gph during flight. At first I thought I had a short in a wire, but have replaced the wires connecting the transducer to the DPU, replaced all connectors and wrapped each wire coming out of the transducer in hopes there was a small nick I couldn't see that was grounding out in flight. I completed the Vision Microsystems troubleshooting guide and every value checks out. I removed the fuel lines and verified there was no debris and blew air through it to make sure the fan inside was moving freely.

I would have a few flights with good indications, then back to fluctuations. Today, it was the worst it has been and fluctuated and then went to 0.0gph for over 20 minutes. I was able to get some video when the indications came back. I apologize for the video quality, but I was trying to fly and hold my cell phone at the same time.

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/danteresathompson/?action=view&current=VID_20120516_164213.mp4

Has anyone seen this before? If so, how did you fix it.

I talked with JP Instruments and they carry a new FloScan fuel flow transducer (P/N 3010074) and goes for $495.00.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

FloScan Follow Up

Well based on everything Dan and I have discussed, looks pretty clear that it is a FloScan sensor failure. These old 264 transducers have an internal diaphram (the round cover seen in the photo above) that seems to wear out over time resulting in fluctuating indications and eventually no indication at all. The current replacement is a newly designed 201B-9 with an external pulsation damper that promises to be more robust than the original, one is in the mail now to get Dan back in the air soonest.

Happy Flying,
Reggie

I wish it were that easy!

Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. Reggie (Glas467) and I have been talking offline with calls to JPI and the VMS representative. Here are the specific details:

From Reggie (who is way smarter on VMS than I):

"the JPI equipment uses flow transducers with a K factor in the 30,000 range ... the carb versions of the VMS systems require a flow transducer with a K factor in the 47,300 range so using the JPI version would result in an indicated flow that is about 35% in error."

I called FloScan and talked to a rep there and they said the only way I could get a transducer with the appropriate K-Factor for my VMS is through JPI as they build them to the specs requested by JPI.

For those with a VMS and old FloScan 264 transducer, the new transducer 201B-9 from JPI is P/N# 3010074

Dan

Alternative to JPI Sensors for VM1000

Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. Reggie (Glas467) and I have been talking offline with calls to JPI and the VMS representative. Here are the specific details:

From Reggie (who is way smarter on VMS than I):

"the JPI equipment uses flow transducers with a K factor in the 30,000 range ... the carb versions of the VMS systems require a flow transducer with a K factor in the 47,300 range so using the JPI version would result in an indicated flow that is about 35% in error."

I called FloScan and talked to a rep there and they said the only way I could get a transducer with the appropriate K-Factor for my VMS is through JPI as they build them to the specs requested by JPI.

For those with a VMS and old FloScan 264 transducer, the new transducer 201B-9 from JPI is P/N# 3010074

Dan

I bought a used VM1000 that came without sensors. Do I really have to buy them from JPI? Their pricing seems to be for the certified market...

For the price of the sensors alone I could buy a complete Dynon!

I already found replacements for fuel and oil pressure transducers. I am still working on
- oil temperature
- RPM
- fuel flow

any hint greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I want one too!

My RV-6 also has a non-C VM1000. It showed fuel flow symptoms the same as described before permanently indicating 0. A few years ago I looked into repairing but the cost seemed unreasonable. So far I just fly by time and the fuel gauges. But if a "reasonably" priced fix were available I would love to know about it. I would imagine there are plenty of others out there with the same problem. Other than the fuel flow issue it works fine.

Sensors

David & Isenburg,
Sorry to hear about your VMI troubles. It is a wonderful system when it is working. Unfortunately it is an older system, so support is not what it used to be. I would contact Reggie Smith on the forums here (Glas467), as sometimes he stocks spare sensors, so he may have what you need.

There are marine fuel flow sensors cheap, but have different K factors. May work better than your current sensor, but not completely accurate.

Keep updating us here!

VM fuel flow transducer

I saw this post on a Lancair Forum (got pointed there by another thread here today on fuel pressure:

----------
FUEL FLOW SENSOR:
The fuel flow sensor originally furnished with the VMS 1000 is made by Flo-Scan. I replaced mine several years ago with a new one, also made by Flo-Scan. The one originally furnished with the VMS 1000 back in the 1990's was a 18,000 rpm model (Flo-Scan has since gone to 6,000 rpm; however, that requires a hardware change in the VMS Digital Processing Unit (DPU). I returned*my DPU*to JPI*and a technician there updated my unit to*accept the 6,000 rpm fuel*flow sensor (JPI still supports work on the DPU insofar as parts are available, but some parts*are, understandably, now obsolete).
-----------

I wonder if Reggie would be able to do this modification and if it would help those of us who have dead VM fuel flow transducers?

I saw this post on a Lancair Forum (got pointed there by another thread here today on fuel pressure:

----------
FUEL FLOW SENSOR:
The fuel flow sensor originally furnished with the VMS 1000 is made by Flo-Scan. I replaced mine several years ago with a new one, also made by Flo-Scan. The one originally furnished with the VMS 1000 back in the 1990's was a 18,000 rpm model (Flo-Scan has since gone to 6,000 rpm; however, that requires a hardware change in the VMS Digital Processing Unit (DPU). I returned*my DPU*to JPI*and a technician there updated my unit to*accept the 6,000 rpm fuel*flow sensor (JPI still supports work on the DPU insofar as parts are available, but some parts*are, understandably, now obsolete).
-----------

I wonder if Reggie would be able to do this modification and if it would help those of us who have dead VM fuel flow transducers?

Wow - my VM1000 is only 10 years old and parts are already hard to find or unreasonably expensive...

What are we going to do if we have a glass panel, say a Dynon or even more expensive stuff? 15.000 Dollar forklift upgrade every 10 years or so?

Latest update

Here is the latest,
After looking at all of the available transducers, and determining the K factor is not adjustable on the VM1000, looking for new old stock, used, and new replacement transducers, I have discovered your only options are;

You can look on eBay and hope you find a used unit that works.
You can track Reggie down and purchase one for $645, or go with a new Flight Data System FC-10 for about $500, it pairs to your NMEA out on you GPS and gives you fuel flow (FT-60 red box) time remaining, etc.
The last option is to purchase an entirely new system, such as a G3X or HDX with all of the monitoring included ($5,000-$20,000) plus install.
Just remember in 10-15 years you may need to spend top dollar replacing all of the obsolete parts.

Why not consider a stand alone EI Fuel Flow instrument or others similar? Excellent stuff and if bought on sale about the same price. Their stuff is awesome! BTW some EI used systems have been available on VAF at times

Back